Copper electroplating

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Copper electroplating

Post by Dave D »

Mr Grumpy wrote:Thanks Jeff, I'm not sure what that component would be either. They're pretty pricey units for how simple they are, maybe I'm in the wrong business?

Thanks George, that's a pretty brilliant idea, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for one of these as well.
Maybe when I find one I can paint it red and sell it as an electroplate machine for $300. I wonder what the demand for these things is?

Vince! I'll take three. A red, a white and a blue one! I found an old DC power suppy with meters and find the meters useful. Too high a voltage and the plating is dull and flaky. Hard to know what you have without meters.
Dave

MidMich
Victor O

Post by MidMich »

Here you go, Ebay. you to can have one for the buy it now price of only $149.00 plus $17.00 for shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vigor-Electro-P ... Swe-FU7Pbo
Jeff

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

A bit of internet searching under "HO power supplies" will reveal lots of options for well under $149. One such product is the MRC-1300 from Model Rectifier Corporation, a very well-respected and long-time supplier of power packs to the model train hobby. Coupled with an inexpensive DC digital voltmeter from Horror Fright, you've got your power source for well under $50. Shop around for best price on the MRC 1300. The MRC site currently lists it as out of stock, but there are several retail sources that have it. Disclaimer: I have no connection to MRC, except that I own two of their power packs.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Yes Dave, I'll make you three with meters but they'll all be painted red and white with a maple leaf on them.

Thanks for the info Henry, Next time I'm at my local hobby/model train shop I'll inquire about this model.
Vince
Youtube

MidMich
Victor O

Post by MidMich »

One Quart of Krohn's Bright Nickel Plating Solution, two pure Nickel anodes 1" X 6" and one pure Copper anode, plus one Pyrex 600mL beaker just arrived from Esslinger.com These are all jewelry grade products. Cost with shipping was $67.20 USD. I opted to purchase the Nickel solution instead of making it. The price was not the bad, $23.95 for a quart. This is not the acid version(vinegar) but the Nickel salt solution with added brighteners. It is safe to ship where the Acid can only be ground shipped.
Jeff
Attachments
Nickel solution.jpg

MidMich
Victor O

Post by MidMich »

Here is a link to a home made Barrel or drum plating setup. You just place the parts in the "barrel" set it in the solution and let it rotate while plating the items. Neat Home made idea.
http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/sho ... index.html
Jeff