How many full winds after a spring re-grease?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

How many full winds after a spring re-grease?

Post by 12jslater »

Just wondering how many full winds you give your gramophones and phonographs after re-greasing the springs. Personally I think I go over board with at least 10 full winds each motor. So off I go to give myself a damn good work out with my recently rebuilt Columbia 3 spring motor.

Thanks, Jake

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: How many full winds after a spring re-grease?

Post by JerryVan »

I just do one to distribute the grease. Otherwise I do not believe winding to the end is kind to the springs. They're 100+ years old, why push them?

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I don't when in normal use I only use them on full wind if they have just been greased.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I have many one-spring machines. A full wind is the only way to get through a record ;)

Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

alang wrote:I have many one-spring machines. A full wind is the only way to get through a record ;)

Andreas

True in that case.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I wind the heck out of them.. :lol: I enjoy the thunk thunk thunk when they unwind.. :roll: It adds some drums to the music. :squirrel: If they break I replace it. :oops: Tom B

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

There is no set number of times you should wind the crank. The number of springs, the length of springs and winding gear ratios would all determine how many times you would have to turn the crank to wind the spring fully. You learn to wind a spring by feel. As you wind, the stiffness becomes gradually and progressively greater. Wind slowly and be aware of the stiffness - if there is a sudden and significant increase in stiffness, STOP!

If you have packed enough grease into the barrel, one full winding should distribute the grease pretty well. I don't think you can overpack with too much grease - it squishes around nicely and some of it will be forced out anyway from the tightest of barrels by the power of the expanding and contracting spring.