Fabricating Diaphragms - Plastic?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Henry
Victor V

Re: Fabricating Diaphragms - Plastic?

Post by Henry »

Not the can itself, Curt, but the LID! It's stamped aluminum on the brand I buy (Weis decaf, 33 oz. tin), with an embossed checkerboard-like pattern. Disclaimer: I've never tried to make a diaphragm out of this (or any other) material; I merely referenced what I remembered from another thread!

Coffee cans today have the pull-off type lids, and typically are sold with a plastic lid to be used once the pull-off lid is removed. Gone are the cans with lids made from the same material as the cans themselves.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Henry,
I think I'm on the same page, now... You are talking about the thin metallic peel off seals on coffee cans, right? They may work very well...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Where do you find Weiss coffee...?
Attachments
new-to-making-espresso-a-few-simple-mistakes-that-are-easy-to-avoid-8.gif.png
new-to-making-espresso-a-few-simple-mistakes-that-are-easy-to-avoid-8.gif.png (62.29 KiB) Viewed 889 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Right, Curt. Peel-off lid.

Weis (one "s," pronounced "wise") is a grocery store chain based in PA, with stores also in MD and NJ, I think. They compete with such as Giant, Acme, Wegman's, et al. Down your way it would be Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo, Publix, etc.

Lee
Victor I

Post by Lee »

Hello, look at antiquestoves.com/mica Wood stove mica windows use "Isinglass" Questions about this can be answered at sales@antiquestoves.com (517) 767-3606 address: Antique Stoves, 410 Fleming Rd, Tekonsha, Michigan, 49092 I think that this stuff might work for you possibly. Many different sizes are available and are not expensive. I have used this material myself. Good luck, Lee