Victor A gear replacement

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Victor A gear replacement

Post by Phono-Phan »

I am working on a Victor A. It needs to have the fiber gear replaced. I have the six rivets removed but can't figure out to remove the gear. Any suggestions? I tried to tap the shaft through the cover plate. It didn't budge at all.
Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
DSCN0242.JPG
DSCN0243.JPG
DSCN0244.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Victor A gear replacement

Post by gramophone-georg »

Hmmm. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the upright pin on the spindle shaft should be removed, then the outer shaft should slide up over the inner shaft. I'd think the fiber gear would then be replaced with the outer sleeve removed, and then the outer and inner sleeves pressed back together and the lock pin replaced. Likely the outer sleeve may need gentle heat with a propane or butane torch to expand it.

Gently. Don't force anything, of course. A creeping lubricant like Sili Kroil will likely also be of use here.

Make sense?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get a hold of Ron Sitko and he said the small metal gear is pressed on and needs to be removed to get the fiber gear off. That worked out well. The problem is that Ron doesn't have this gear anymore and doesn't know who might have it. So, I will have to get it made.
Thanks,
Ken

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It looks like the same fiber gear that's on a Trademark Berliner... Someone on here posted awhile back that they made these gears for $300...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I think one should consider all alternatives then make a decision. One alternative already mentioned is to have a new gear made. Another is to repair the original gear. This is done with a jeweler's saw that is used to cut out a section of the wheel where the teeth are bad. Then using a suitable material of the right thickness, one cuts in a new section and shapes the teeth with a file to match the original piece now removed. Here's picture from a clock repair website:http://www.rideauclockrepair.com/tag/broken-gear/ One can see the broken tooth. All the teeth to the right of that broken tooth have been replaced. This has been done to a wooden wheel, but can be done for a brass wheel or even a fiber wheel; the principle is the same. Even if you don't go this route, it's good to know what the options are so you can make an informed decision.
Attachments
IMG_0392.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Well it took a little while but I finally have the Victor A back together with a new gear and rivets. I found a machine shop to cut a gear and it works great. I made the special copper rivets to fasten it in. I just need to replace the governor springs. They are very weak and at a low RPM open up the governor enough for the weights to hit the cast iron case. The original style phenolic material for the gear isn't available in the thickness I needed the gear to be. It doesn't mill very well either so I went with a Delrin material. It is used to make gears and bushings and is very strong. I just wish it came in a dark brown color. It only comes in white and black.
Ken Brekke
Attachments
DSCN0356.JPG
DSCN0352.JPG
DSCN0350.JPG

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

Well done Ken!!
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy projects like this. The copper rivets were fun to make. I had to replace the governor springs also. It didn't take much rpm to have the weights hit the cast iron cover. New springs made a big difference. I also had to find the correct size ball bearings for under the spindle. I was missing a few. Fastenal had them. Now the motor runs very smooth.
Attachments
DSCN0351.JPG