Hybrid Orthophonic Reproducer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Zkeener323
Victor I

Hybrid Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by Zkeener323 »

So I've been considering finally having one of my Orthophonic reproducers professionally overhauled after years of just toying around myself. I think I do a pretty good job but I'm curious if it can get any better, especially after finally acquiring a Credenza. I have brass Orthophonics as well as pot metal ones and even a few HMV 5s. I hear that pot metal has better tonal qualities and Hmv 5b diaphragms are better than the victor counterparts and even differences in use/type of phase plug. Has anyone experimented with using say a pot metal victor back with a brass front and HMV diaphragm?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Hybrid Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by CarlosV »

In my experience there is no difference between pot metal and brass orthophonics. The factor that makes the difference is the condition of the soundbox: gaskets, back rubber attachments, bearings etc. Also in my experience an orthophnic in good condition is vastly superior to the HMV 5a/5b (the HMV 5 is identical to a pot metal victor). I never tried to exchange diaphragms between victor and hmv,probably they would not fit without tampering, as the interfaces to the needle bar are clearly dissimilar.