Need tutoring on proper use of Standard Speaker

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Need tutoring on proper use of Standard Speaker

Post by Lucius1958 »

martinola wrote:I couldn't have added anything better than what was said here. I will direct all further comments to Doctors Howard, Fine, and Howard. :mrgreen:

Martin
Funny you should mention that...

A couple of days ago, in a Facebook group, there was a query about a Victor machine that had belonged to the poster's grandfather - Shemp Howard (yes, that Shemp Howard...)

Bill

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

To make it usable what I would do is apply a little heat with a soldering pen, and then push the cutter up into the bar so it does not have a chance to cut the record. That way you can use it as a reproducer!
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

MicaMonster wrote:To make it usable what I would do is apply a little heat with a soldering pen, and then push the cutter up into the bar so it does not have a chance to cut the record. That way you can use it as a reproducer!
...But it still would have virtually no lateral compliance.

George P.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

It has no lateral compliance because it
only can pivot up and down just like a recorder
is built.

So, if I had to take a wild guess, I'd vote for
pushing the reproduction point out of the way
and using it as a recorder only.

Would that work?
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I think if your just going to display it the Speaker is fine, but if your going to use it to play and record cylindersi would go with a set of Automatics for originality.

Rich Gordon

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

phonogfp wrote:
three_stooges1.jpg

B-a-bay, B-e-bee, B-i-bicky bi, B-o-bo, bicky-bi-o-b-u-bu-bicky-I-o-u. Hahaha I have every episode.
J.F.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Repeating what was already posted in the original paper by G.F.P. Pushing the lever up in the lug, with the adjustment arm and any position in the range of the reproducer adjustment screw should be for the playback only stylus, and the adjustment screw for alignment of the stylus, which you kind of have to guide it with the screw adjustment as you play, the recording point is engaged by position the adjustment arm downward a little away from the, playback adjustment lug. Don't modify this rare combo recorder/reproducer, record and play on blank wax cylinders (preferably of new origin), did you replace the rubber washers (we call them gaskets now, but they were called washers in the early books.) Hopefully you are using a glass diaphragm, nothing else will sound good in these, many think, copper or mica are an improvement, maybe in others (I like the sound of glass in a C reproducer) in these, but NO, it is NOT, glass is king in these, and the glass diaphragms are plentiful and cheap. When these standard speakers are adjusted right, they record very nicely, crisp, and clear recordings, I prefer them to the later recorder. ("Wall if that Shawn Borri character recommends them, we shall stay clear of them! so says the TMC.") :lol: Also note that Thigs may have been difficult if the linkage from the crosshead to the stylus has been changed, earlier cylinders can be pretty thick, up to 2.165-2.196"
Attachments
Diagram of standard speaker, with added gas inlet, and flame outlet, for speaking flame attachment.
Diagram of standard speaker, with added gas inlet, and flame outlet, for speaking flame attachment.
standard_speaker.gif (58.5 KiB) Viewed 1138 times