Do different types of gasket make any difference?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Do different types of gasket make any difference?

Post by 12jslater »

I am replacing the gaskets in my viva tonal soundbox which were originally red solid cylindrical gaskets would replacing them with the White hollow type make any difference?

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Do different types of gasket make any difference?

Post by CharliePhono »

Hello there. I've rebuilt two No. 9 Viva-Tonal soundboxes utilizing the standard white tubing and have been essentially pleased with the results; however, I am to understand the silicone tubing is superior to what's available from most online vendors (others will weigh in on this, I am sure). I have ordered red silicone gasket material from a seller on ebay.fr, but I see now he only has the red in stock for Pathé soundboxes, but does have black for other soundboxes (http://www.ebay.fr/itm/1-Metre-Silicone ... Sw4GVYG181). Color is immaterial to functionality, of course, but perhaps the seller will restock the red. I haven't yet tried it, but plan to on an upcoming rebuild on an HMV 4 soundbox. Cheers!

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Re: Do different types of gasket make any difference?

Post by MicaMonster »

The standard white exhibition gasket material is actually too narrow. I have some of the proper diameter gasket material for the viva. It's the same diameter as used on the Columbia analyzing reproducers.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!