Can someone tell me how to... Edison Triumph

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
patrick_l
Victor Jr

Can someone tell me how to... Edison Triumph

Post by patrick_l »

Can someone tell me how to:

- repaint the black background of the Edison patent plate in brass.
- stripping and repainting the 2 light gray cylinders?
- "repaint" the places where the black paint has peeled off,

0H3n2i40l1v78tz889xw01
In advance, thank you for your help.0H3n2i40l1v78tz889xw01 0H3n2i40l1v78tz889xw01
Last edited by patrick_l on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Can someone tell me how to... Edison Triumo

Post by JerryVan »

- repaint the black background of the Edison patent plate in brass.

Some people spray paint the whole thing black, then block sand it, taking paint off the high spots and leaving a black background. Others use a fine brush and lots of patience.

- stripping and repainting the 2 light gray cylinders?

?????????????????????? What are light gray cylinders???????????????

- "repaint" the places where the black paint has peeled off,

Depends how extensive this is. Got any pics?

startgroove
Victor III

Re: Can someone tell me how to... Edison Triumph

Post by startgroove »

Jerry has given a couple of good methods to repaint a patent label.

Here is another (this one works best if the label is plated in nickel).

Spray the face of the label in a heavy coat of RustOleum. Let it set for hours, or until the surface is just dry to the touch.

Prepare a straight edge razor by running its sharp edge along #400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, in the direction of the blade, and while the sandpaper is on a solid flat surface. This will knock the sharp edge off the blade. The idea is to get a dull blade that is stiff enough to cut through soft enamel, but not sharp enough to scratch the metal surface.

Carefully and patiently scrape the tops of the characters and borders without touching the valleys between. You do not have to get every single bit of the color off, just enough so most of the metal shows. Let it dry for several more days.

Take some 0000 steel wool and polish the high spots, being careful not to wear through on the low areas. If you press hard enough to wear through the low spots, touch them up with a brush using the same paint from the spray can. When thoroughly dry, you can lightly steel wool those spots to match. Optionally, you may want to additionally shine it with automotive polish.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I hate to say it, but I would not do any of it that way.
When restoring a patent plate, Lightly spray the plate black all in the first step (just enough to get full coverage).
Let the paint dry enough so its just tacky. While the paint is still tacky, Rub out the letters and high spots with a clean rag and some plain old Yellow bottle of Ronson Lighter fluid from Walmart near where they sell cigarettes at the checkout counter. Job done.

NEVER EVER sand high spots off of an original patent plate as it will remove the original nickel finish off of the plate and reveal the brass underlying surface. Sanding the plate is only done in extreme circumstances if the plate's original nickeled finish is already trashed. There are certain nickel powders that can be used to restore the nickel finish if that is needed. Also, If you use Automotive compound polish, Make sure that you only use the No. 7 brand White polish. If you use any red compound, it will blow right through the original nickel finish down to the brass.

:0)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

I do it more like Tony does except I dip a toothpick in lacquer thinner and rub the top of the lettering. I use black gloss auto touch up paint in the bottle to repair chips, etc.