Irregular speed on a Victor M

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Joe Busam
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor V

Irregular speed on a Victor M

Post by Joe Busam »

I recently had my Victor M overhauled and cleaned in an attempt to resolve a problem I was having. The problem is irregular speed especially at the beginning of a record. The problem was resolved initially but it returns if my machine sits idle for any length of time. Once I start using it again the problem eventually corrects itself. The motor has been cleaned, and new grease and oil applied. One thing that wasn’t addressed were the friction pads on the governor. To the best of my knowledge the pads are original to the machine. It was suggested that I keep the pads well soaked in oil. Is it possible that the pads have simply gotten too stiff with age and are not working properly? Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this situation.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Irregular speed on a Victor M

Post by gramophone-georg »

Joe Busam wrote:I recently had my Victor M overhauled and cleaned in an attempt to resolve a problem I was having. The problem is irregular speed especially at the beginning of a record. The problem was resolved initially but it returns if my machine sits idle for any length of time. Once I start using it again the problem eventually corrects itself. The motor has been cleaned, and new grease and oil applied. One thing that wasn’t addressed were the friction pads on the governor. To the best of my knowledge the pads are original to the machine. It was suggested that I keep the pads well soaked in oil. Is it possible that the pads have simply gotten too stiff with age and are not working properly? Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this situation.
Joe, on every Victor product I've ever owned that did this... Tina included... replacing the governor springs straightened this issue right out.

They can be downright annoying when this happens.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Joe Busam
Victor Jr

Post by Joe Busam »

Hadn't considered replacing them. Thanks George. Tina is still behaving beautifully.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

HMV motors are notorious for this problem, so I presume Victors are the same? It's that the governor assembly is sticking on the central shaft, so that instead of sliding along slowly as the weights expand outwards, it moves erratically, due to dirt or sticky old grease. The cure it is to take the complete assembly off it's shaft, clean the shaft scrupulously, and clean the hole in the rest of the assembly with a cotton bud soaked in your chosen de-greaser.

Joe Busam
Victor Jr

Post by Joe Busam »

That would be worth a try as well. Should I wind up replacing the governor springs, does anyone have a recommendation for a source to buy new ones? Thanks.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Joe Busam wrote:That would be worth a try as well. Should I wind up replacing the governor springs, does anyone have a recommendation for a source to buy new ones? Thanks.
Joe- Sent you an email with some info.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Before you replace the governor springs you might try this. Assuming the governor spring all look the same in length, width, etc., loosen the screws at each end. Next, flex the governor so the weights are pushed out a bit. While in that position tighten the screws. It's worth a try. By doing so, the weights and springs will work in unison. Jerry Blais

Joe Busam
Victor Jr

Post by Joe Busam »

Jerry B. wrote:Before you replace the governor springs you might try this. Assuming the governor spring all look the same in length, width, etc., loosen the screws at each end. Next, flex the governor so the weights are pushed out a bit. While in that position tighten the screws. It's worth a try. By doing so, the weights and springs will work in unison. Jerry Blais
Thanks Jerry. The governor springs are in good shape and I don't think they need replacing. I'll save that as a last resort. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Joe Busam wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:Before you replace the governor springs you might try this. Assuming the governor spring all look the same in length, width, etc., loosen the screws at each end. Next, flex the governor so the weights are pushed out a bit. While in that position tighten the screws. It's worth a try. By doing so, the weights and springs will work in unison. Jerry Blais
Thanks Jerry. The governor springs are in good shape and I don't think they need replacing. I'll save that as a last resort. I'll give this a try. Thanks.
Agree- always try the simplest solutions first.

The test I use is the knuckle test- with the motorboard up on its prop and the governor accessible, wind it up and get the turntable spinning. With your finger folded over, approach the spinning weights with your knuckle slowly. If one weight starts knocking your knuckle before the others, that spring is weak and all should be replaced, what they look like notwithstanding.

Setting the preload as Jerry suggests along with making sure everything slides/ moves freely is a good first step, though. Then if you still have wavering speed issues do the knuckle test.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Speed Irregularity on a Victor M can certainly be affected by THREE things, generally. 1. Sticky spring lube. But, if you serviced the motor, this shouldn't be the problem at all. 2. mis-matched governor springs AND weights. Make sure all three springs are the same, and the weights are all the same weight *use a digital jewel scale*.

Lastly, the one thing that everyone misses .....the governor friction leather pads. They will work when rock hard, but they will NOT work when squishy or soft with age. Here's why:

When the machine is fully wound, and under tension, the governor spins with such force as to put maximum pressure on the soft leather pads. This shortens them, and when the turntable speed is correct, you will have the first few grooves play at correct 78rpm.

AS THE SPRING BARRELS LOSE TENSION, the force on the governor gear is lessened somewhat, and the soft governor leather pads are allowed to rebound, or expand a bit under the lessened pressure. This will slow down the turntable speed.

Hard leathers do not hold oil well, either. Best to just install new ones. After removing the old leathers from the yoke, I get two small pieces of round treadle sewing machine belt, cut them to length, and put a little wood glue between them and the yoke holes. When in place, I use plyers to squeeze the leather from end-to-end, thus making the leather expand into the yoke holes. This is a way to avoid damaging the yoke metal, as it is quite delicate. Now you should be good for 100 years.

Be VERY certain that your governor cage is adjusted properly with just enough gear backlash to run quietly. All "M" motors I have encountered have a bit of governor gear wear, but when under load, while playing, quiet mostly down.

Enjoy!

-Wyatt
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!