Is this stylus OK?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bangster
Victor O

Is this stylus OK?

Post by bangster »

Howdy friends; Bangster the clock guy is back.

I have this Edison standard on hand. I accidentally dropped the reproducer, and am afraid it may have damaged the stylus.

Can you look at this pic, and tell me whether it looks OK? I'd just as soon not replace it if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
Edison Stylus detail.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Is this stylus OK?

Post by Lucius1958 »

As far as I can tell from the photo, the stylus looks OK. You would have to examine it, however, with a high powered jewelers' loupe or a microscope to be absolutely certain.

Because of the design of the reproducer, I would hazard that the stylus is not as likely to be damaged in a fall than one with a flat weight. You should, however, check it for wear: a flat spot where it touches the cylinder would be a definite sign.

Fortunately, a worn stylus of this type can be rotated about 120 degrees (with the aid of a little heat to soften the shellac), so that it presents a pristine surface to the record.

Bill

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Looks like a regular 2-minute "door-knob" stylus, and from what I can tell, it looks to be okay.

Bill pretty-much said it all.

If you have Eric Reiss' - The Compleat Talking Machine, he describes stylus repair and replacement.

Good luck !

Frank
De Soto Frank

bangster
Victor O

Post by bangster »

Thanks, folks. Under a loupe, the "doorknob" appears undamaged, so I'll take it as good.

I have the Reiss book. Couldn't get along without it.

Thanks again.