Victrola VV-XIV four spring motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
skrogh
Victor Jr

Victrola VV-XIV four spring motor

Post by skrogh »

Hi! I'm new to this forum. Thank you for adding me. I'm cleaning, oiling and greasing the motor on my Victrola VV-XIV. It has four springs. I need help getting the springs back in the right orientation. How do they go into the barrels (clockwise or counter clockwise) starting from the crank and moving left? Thank you in advance. ~ Scott

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victrola VV-XIV four spring motor

Post by JerryVan »

For the 4 spring motor;

Barrel #1;

Starting at the winding gear, the spring goes CCW, then CW for the inner spring.

Barrel #2;

CW for the outer spring, CCW for the inner spring, the one that drives the big worm gear.

NOTE: When I say CW or CCW, I'm referring to the rotation your finger would travel in, if you were running it along the edge of the spring and traveling towards its center. All from the perspective of looking into the open spring barrel. Also, the barrel covers should be on the outward facing ends of each barrel when installed in the motor. In other words, neither cover should face the spindle shaft.

skrogh
Victor Jr

Post by skrogh »

Jerry,

Hi! I wanted to thank you so much for answering my question. I installed the springs and the Victrola works great! Al Jolson never sounded so good! Thank you again! Take care.

~ Scott

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

skrogh wrote:Jerry,

Hi! I wanted to thank you so much for answering my question. I installed the springs and the Victrola works great! Al Jolson never sounded so good! Thank you again! Take care.

~ Scott

You're welcome Scott. Your timing was perfect as I just finished doing the exact same thing and the memory of it was still fresh. (I hate the smell of stale memories) :)