RCA Victrola VV 2-65 Turntable slowing down

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
skrogh
Victor Jr

RCA Victrola VV 2-65 Turntable slowing down

Post by skrogh »

Hi. I'm working on my Victrola VV 2-65. I've disassembled the motor, cleaned it and greased/oiled everything. The turntable was slowing down and stopping when I applied the reproducer to the record before I cleaned it and it's still doing it. I regreased the spring so I know it's not that. What else could be the problem? The governor? Speed control? Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you. ~ Scott

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: RCA Victrola VV 2-65 Turntable slowing down

Post by epigramophone »

Even after cleaning and re-greasing, the spring could simply be "tired" from age and use. This can also happen when the motor has been left fully wound for a long period.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Scott:

Along with the motor work, did you overhaul the sound box (reproducer)? The ball bearings should be cleaned (or replaced if corroded) and new soft rubber should be used to replace the hardened gunk in the joint. If hard, the back flange should also be replaced.

Also, does the tonearm move freely?

OrtoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sun May 07, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I would first try different records, ideally from the 1920s or early 1930s. Always a new needle, soft tone has worked best for me in such cases. Some records seem to have more resistance, especially later records. Do not use vinyl records (soft) from the 1950s, they will get stuck and damaged.

Once you verified that it's not a specific record, then you can check if maybe the governor is to tight etc.

Andreas

skrogh
Victor Jr

Post by skrogh »

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I really appreciate it. I disassembled and cleaned both the tone arm and sound box. A needle fell out of the sound box! Needless to say, the sound is much improved! I also made some adjustments to the governor weight springs which were slightly bent. The phonograph works and sounds much better. It's taking around 50 to 60 cranks to play a record or else it slows down and stops. I may just have to replace the spring at some point. Thanks again. ~ Scott

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

2-65s must be popular I also just purchased one and have a few problems with mine. . The forum has been very helpful in helping me fix the brake assembly . They take a good wind up to play but mine does not take that much. I am with you and check the spring. Tom B

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Well, it's not necessarily due to the spring. If the governor is not well aligned with the gears, the extra friction would draw power from the turntable. Also, some of the gears may be worn out, especially the spindle's wormgear / drive gear combo.

If it plays OK with 60 windings you might as well keep it as it is. After all there are many machines with which 60 wounds are normal.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

another way to look at it is with 50 winds per record if you play 12 records a night you will not need to buy a tread mill. Tom B

skrogh
Victor Jr

Post by skrogh »

Hi. So I've isolated the problem with my 2-65. It slows down during play because the governor is shifting on its axle about every 45 to 60 seconds. This is pulling power from the turntable gear and causing it to slow down temporarily. How do I solve this problem? Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you. ~ Scott

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

skrogh wrote:Hi. So I've isolated the problem with my 2-65. It slows down during play because the governor is shifting on its axle about every 45 to 60 seconds. This is pulling power from the turntable gear and causing it to slow down temporarily. How do I solve this problem? Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you. ~ Scott

This should be a relatively easy fix if the governor assembly is held in place by two end-post bearings, and the bearings are held in place with screws.

Let the motor run down, completely.

Check to see that the (6) screws holding the flat springs on which the weights are suspended are tight.

Move the governor assembly, back and forth, toward the end posts (bearings). If there is noticeable movement, check both screws holding the end posts in place. If loose, tighten the one near the spindle end.

Unscrew the one holding the outer end post in place. Turn the end post and then gently push it inward, then tighten the screw.

Move the governor spindle back and forth toward the end posts to verify that there is no noticeable movement. (A slight bit of "shake" is okay.)

Spin the spindle with your finger to verify it moves freely.

Wind it up and test to make sure it does not slow down.

HTH,
OrthoFan