Cylinder Storage Solutions - need some help

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Cylinder Storage Solutions - need some help

Post by Mr Grumpy »

I'm tiding up and trying to organize a bit of my collection and realized I was lacking in cylinder storage.
I don't own a cylinder cabinet or any cases so my small cylinder collection is organized in a few cardboard boxes in the basement. During my tiding up process I found that a few of the old radio/TV repairman tube cases could house my cylinders quite comfortably and the cases themselves are in pretty decent condition.

The dilemma:

One of the cases has a musky smell in it and the other smells of the repairman that carried it around for many years (I'm guessing he was Portuguese). I remember a thread a short while ago where a member was cleaning a machine that smelled badly and several suggestions were made on the concoction used to eradicate it but I can't for the life of me find the thread or remember the concoction recipe. Was it vinegar and the blood of a Norwegian virgin? or was it Ammonia, a lock of hair from an Icelandic princess and the Norwegian virgin blood stuff?

Any help would be appreciated.
Vince
Youtube

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Cylinder Storage Solutions - need some help

Post by Curt A »

Actually, Heavy Duty Febreze works really well. It may take a couple of applications and it is certainly much easier to locate than virgin's blood... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Wipe them down with vinegar or an oil soap solution.

If moldy, rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle is very effective at killing mold. Spray it on and let it sit outside for about 5 minutes, then wipe down, let it dry, and follow up with vinegar or oil soap.

If all else fails get some "Odorcide" and use as directed. Do this outside.

Hint: A charcoal briquette in a box or drawer absorbs future odor and keeps it at bay if you're in a humid climate or if the basement tends to be damp.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

I was trying to clean the musty smell and mold from a Columbia cabinet in this thread. Was it the one you were looking for?

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=29025

I had used vinegar and a scotch bride to remove visible mold, dirt, etc. and then sprayed the insides with Lysol (a flowery scented one like Febreeze). It got rid of the smell for a week or two, but it came back. The smell only persists in the bottom records storage area. Probably because I couldn't reach far enough to get the furthest corners and the back, inside panel of the cabinet. Until my schedule frees up for some phono-fun, I open the garage and let sunlight shine in the cabinet, which should be helping.

Also, newspaper seems to work well at either absorbing moisture or absorbing some of the smell. The project machines that I haven't gotten to fixing yet are all stuffed full of crumpled up newspaper and it has helped a lot. The newspaper may need to be changed every now and then, but the used newspaper can still be recycled.

-Connor

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The "Heavy Duty Febreze" isn't flowery smelling perfume to mask the scent of whatever you are trying to get rid of... it somehow eradicates the smells. I have used it successfully to eradicate the noxious fumes (burned plastic, burned upholstery, burned electrical stuff, fire extinguishing foam and diesel fuel) from our luggage that was salvaged from a tour bus that burned to the ground in Bavaria (long story, but everyone escaped unharmed) and also pet urine that rejuvenated itself when I had a rug cleaned and was told that the smell was impossible to remove...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Oceangoer1
Victor III

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Curt A wrote:The "Heavy Duty Febreze" isn't flowery smelling perfume to mask the scent of whatever you are trying to get rid of... it somehow eradicates the smells. I have used it successfully to eradicate the noxious fumes (burned plastic, burned upholstery, burned electrical stuff, fire extinguishing foam and diesel fuel) from our luggage that was salvaged from a tour bus that burned to the ground in Bavaria (long story, but everyone escaped unharmed) and also pet urine that rejuvenated itself when I had a rug cleaned and was told that the smell was impossible to remove...
Oops! My mistake! I didn't know Febreeze made a product like this. I will definitely be trying it out tomorrow.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Oceangoer1 wrote:I was trying to clean the musty smell and mold from a Columbia cabinet in this thread. Was it the one you were looking for?

That was the thread Connor, thanks.

I guess I'll try the vinegar, febreze solution, but I think I liked my idea better.
What am I supposed to do with all these Norwegian Virgins now?
Vince
Youtube

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I buy chests with 6 or 7-inch deep drawers from salvage stores. Perfect for cylinder storage.

Oceangoer1
Victor III

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Mr Grumpy wrote:
Oceangoer1 wrote:I was trying to clean the musty smell and mold from a Columbia cabinet in this thread. Was it the one you were looking for?

That was the thread Connor, thanks.

I guess I'll try the vinegar, febreze solution, but I think I liked my idea better.
What am I supposed to do with all these Norwegian Virgins now?
You could list them on eBay :D

I bought the Heavy Duty Febreeze that Curt recommended and I must say I am impressed! It's great for getting that stubborn smell out and it doesn't leave some over-flowery coverup scent in the cabinet. I used vinegar to kill and remove the physical mold, sunlight to kill and dry, then used a pet stain remover (with hydrogen peroxide) to remove the mold stains, let that dry, then I used the Heavy Duty Febreeze. I would definitely recommend that everyone try it! It's different than regular air fresheners.
Attachments
IMG_4038.JPG