Can anyone tell me anything about Pacific records?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Can anyone tell me anything about Pacific records?

Post by 12jslater »

I brought three of these records all play perfectly and are a Dixieland jazz band style arrangements, I can't find anything on this record label or music.
Attachments
image.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about Pacific records?

Post by epigramophone »

A search for Compagnie Generale du Disque, the manufacturer of Pacific records, reveals that Nixa records was set up in 1950 to market their catalogue in the UK.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

To complete Epigramophone input, the label Pacific record was created in 1945, in Paris, by René Cacheux and distributed by the Compagnie générale du disque.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Pacific was also an Australian 78rpm label (part of the ARC group), with no relation to overseas Pacific companies. The label had a blue background and silver printing, rather hard to read (there was also a much rarer red and silver variety).

It's not a very collectable label, as it catered for easy-listening music. It does have one claim to fame - the first Australian rock+roll record release - Vic Sabrino - Rock Around The Clock (arguably, as there were some other releases about the same time which are contenders for that title, and no surviving documentation from the companies to verify). The rock+roll record in question isn't very good - it plods along without any r+r spirit, and was possibly learned by Sabrino from sheet music.

Pacific label pic and history here: http://www.milesago.com/industry/arc.htm