Instructions for Rebuilding a Columbia B/Q Reproducer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
hearsedriver
Victor III

Instructions for Rebuilding a Columbia B/Q Reproducer

Post by hearsedriver »

Does anyone have a link or video for instructions of rebuilding a Columbia floating reproducer like for a B or Q? What holds the mica diaphragm in? Beeswax or a gasket? THanks

hearsedriver
Victor III

Re: Instructions for Rebuilding a Columbia B/Q Reproducer

Post by hearsedriver »

Anyone here ever rebuilt one of these?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I rebuilt mine a few years ago. There a gasket on the inside, and the mica is held in with beeswax. The hardest part is forming a uniform beeswax rope, because I'm OCD and things have to be just so....
IMG_5446.JPG

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Thank you HMV! Do you recall if the inner gasket was made of rubber or foam or ? A lot of the beeswax on the outside of one of mine has flaked off so, Id like to replace the inner gasket before I reseal the outside with wax.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It was rubber, I imagine I bought it from Ron Sitko. He also sells mica, styli, & holders for them if you need.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

That depends on the reproducer. Some have an outer rubber gasket with a screw-in bezel: others have the gasket held in with beeswax.

Bill

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

When I rebuild a Columbia floating It should be a gasket, diaphragm bees wax, be careful to center the diaphragm any touching the side will cause the sound to be low or buzz. Many of these reproducers also had the stylus bar on an arm, where a pin goes through the outer part of the arm and then the center is cemented to the center of the diaphragm. I still believe that glass diaphragm sound better than mica, and If I have a choice of mica or glass I choose the glass, .007-.0075 glass.

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

I finally got the gasket I needed to rebuild the reproducer. mine only had one gasket between the mica and the shell and only beeswax on the outside of the mica so, thats how I resealed it. It sounds really good now! It was a pretty easy job but the beeswax is a bit of a pain to work with. By the way, hobby Lobby has pure beeswax in bar and pellet form in the candle making supplies. I used the pellets. I melted them in a glass jar and poured it out ona sheet of tin foil and cut it in thin strips with a razor blade. Rolled the strips to the thickness I needed with my fingers.
Attachments
005.JPG
003.JPG