Using A Turntable Stylus In Diamond B Reproducer?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: Using A Turntable Stylus In Diamond B Reproducer?

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi I would suggest getting Steve Medved to install a new diamond he has had made to the original Edison specification. The cost not including postage new diaphragm, gaskets, or rebuild all of which would would still be less than $150. The stylus if I recall is $80 installed.
Allen

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I just came across the bill to rebuild my diamond A reproducer which should be about the same as a B in cost but note the relative condition of your reproducer may have an impact on cost.
Labor & clean $20.00
New Diamond installed in my bar 80.00
Gaskets 2.10
Larry's True Tone Diaphragm 20.00
Stylus bar pin or pivot shaft 3.00
Total $125.00
To this you would have to add postage, packaging, and insurance.

My Modle O reproducer:
Re-build & restoration $40.00
Replace link & reshape stirrup 5.00
Stylus bar pin 3.00
Gaskets 2.10
Cement 4 minute stylus that was loose 5.00
Original limit screw 1.00
Original hinge block screw 2.50
total $58.50
To this you need to add postage, packing, and insurance.

Note: You might want to ask for an estimate I my self trust in Steve. Missing parts may have to be made or purchased from other people by Steve or you if you do not have a complete reproducer or if parts are damaged. Steve has diamonds for both the cylinder reproducers and Diamond disc reproducers. I think all diamond points and they are different for cylinders vs Diamond Disc are $80.00 but if he eventually has LP diamonds made their price may be different.

I sent Steve the reproducer out of my NOS Edison LP conversion kit to examine the stylus to potentially have new diamonds for LP reproducers made. You may just want a new stylus but the diaphragm in my NOS reproducer I sent to Steve had a kink in it. Therefore, I would give Steve a free hand in the rebuild. You might also ask him what he thinks it needs when he receives it and make the decisions your self but I would not do that. Also the stylus bar pin had to be made new for that NOS reproducer.
Best to all,
Allen

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

12jslater wrote:Could I use a 3 mil diamond stylus on my diamond B reproducer in replace of my worn stylus? I am not prepared to spend $150 on a new stylus however I can get a 3 mil diamond stylus for $20 inc shipping.

What are your thoughts?
Just came upon this older post.

I have done it and had good results with no noticeable wear to the stylus or cylinder after over a hundred plays. I however may not recommend it due to the weight of the Diamond B. That being said, I have done the conversion on several Model H / N reproducers and the result is excellent. Plays louder and better sound than the original button 4min stylus.

Picture of stylus mounted on a Model N reproducer.
Attachments
nrep2.jpg