Basic instructions for how to use gojo

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Basic instructions for how to use gojo

Post by Curt A »

£21.75 is $28.25 USD... this is insane. GOOP costs $1.67 at Walmart, BUT not in the UK...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 7.43.19 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I just got out the magnifying glass to find the contents of the gojo I bought at Loews and it has shell powder which I am sure is diatomaceous earth a fine abrasive that might also leave a white deposit in the crazed finish. I will check out Walmart but I know that the local antique and lightly used store has a product I have used on an old Potthast cabinet.
Allen

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

What really works well also is to use a soft bristle brush to get into all the hard to reach areas.
I used to use Kotton Kleanser but GOJO without pumice works better and is cheaper.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Phono-Phan wrote:What really works well also is to use a soft bristle brush to get into all the hard to reach areas.
I used to use Kotton Kleanser but GOJO without pumice works better and is cheaper.
Ditto on the soft brush treatment. I save all our old toothbrushes in a shoebox down in the shop for such uses.

I also was a Kotton Kleanser user until I discovered GoJo/Goop. Just in time too, because my wife can't stand the smell of the Kotton Kleanser!

George P.

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

I use Gojo with 0000 steel wool on the really bad finishes. Works great on dark, alligatored finishes but be careful and keep away from decals.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

The goop was just under $2 at the Walmart store I had first bought Gojo at Loew's store but noticed it had powdered shell (I think this is diatomaceous earth) so looked for the Goop. I intend to use a solder brush cut down to be about ¼ inch and microfiber cloth. If necessary I will get some 0000 steel wool.
Allen