Basic instructions for how to use gojo

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
A Ford 1
Victor II

Basic instructions for how to use gojo

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi all, I have been looking for the post that talks about how one uses gojo to clean cabinets with out much success. If the original instructor or some kind person would point me in the correct direction, I would be so happy!
Allen

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Basic instructions for how to use gojo

Post by HisMastersVoice »

You pretty much just slather it on, wait a few minutes, and wipe it off. Repeat until the black gunk stops coming off, then let the machine dry for a few days, as the finish will be tacky after cleaning since GoJo contains a light solvent. Make sure to use the original, non-pumice variety.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Thank you again HisMastersVoice,
I am going upstairs to fine the magnifying glass to read the contents of the gojo bottle and make lunch.
Thank you kindly,
Allen

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

If HMV doesn't mind my adding one word of caution, I've found that repeated applications too close together can actually start removing the finish. I tend these days to give the cabinet at least 4 hours to dry between applications and that seems to be plenty. I haven't had it happen on everything, but once was enough for me to increase "dry time".

Sean

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

"Goop" is a similar product, used exactly the same way. Again, get the non-pumice version.

There is also something called "Kotton Klenser", which is much more expensive than Goop or GoJo, but done not seem to perform any better.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

But the best is New Life Furniture Masque!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Highly recommend this cleaning product.

http://www.hfstaples.com/shop/wood-cleaner/

I have put this on "clean" finishes and was amazed at the black dirt that came off. Spray it on enough to wet the surface, leave it for 2 or 3 minutes, then wipe off with a clean towel.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As far as I am aware, none of the products so far mentioned are readily available in the UK, if at all. What do other UK restorers use?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

epigramophone wrote:As far as I am aware, none of the products so far mentioned are readily available in the UK, if at all. What do other UK restorers use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00065 ... nd+cleaner

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Thanks for the link, but....HOW MUCH???? At £21.75 a pot, no thanks! I'll stick to good old Swarfega, which I've always had good results with. That's the green one, by the way, the orange version has abrasive in it. Use it in the same way, dab it one, leave for a few minutes then wipe off, then leave for 24 hrs to dry thoroughly before re-doing.