Motor Gear Noise ? Give This try !

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
hearsedriver
Victor III

Motor Gear Noise ? Give This try !

Post by hearsedriver »

I have experimented with everything under the sun to try to quieten the gears in a couple of my machines. Difference greases, oils, graphite mixtures, even STP but, never had much luck until now. I bought a quart of 600W Axle and Transmission oil called M-533 from Classic Auto Parts in Oklahoma City. This stuff is thick, sticky, and very slick. It works like nothing I have found, especially on the fast running, small brass governor gears that sound like a thrashing machine. Been testing it today and, after many full winds, I can say it stays put and has no affect on run time. I didnt even have to re-adjust the speed on either machine. I applied it one time and have not had to re-apply it. I think I paid around $20.00 with shipping for a quart but, it should last a very long time. You might be able to find it cheaper. You'll find it at antique auto supply stores as it is used in old Ford Model A and T's. Im sure its been discussed here many times but for those of us that are fairly new to this site, I think its worth recommending again. Here is an Ebay link to where you can get it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192196116817?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Feel free to post your experiences with it.
Attachments
fuguj600.jpg
fuguj600.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 2535 times

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Motor Gear Noise ? Give This try !

Post by CarlosV »

Thanks for the tip, I bought one (they ship to Europe). I have some stubborn noisy machines, I'll report the results!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

CarlosV wrote:Thanks for the tip, I bought one (they ship to Europe). I have some stubborn noisy machines, I'll report the results!
Oh my gosh! Carlos, did you really pay the $61.25 shipping to Europe? I was tempted to order a bottle until I saw that...

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Hi
Here in the UK there is a similar oil which may do the work and at £8.15+ is somewhat cheaper than the US brand. Penrite Transoil 250 'straight' 600w gear oil. Not tried it but worth a look.
Brian

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

How's the odor? I've never come across heavy gear oil that doesn't stink to high heaven.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

jamiegramo wrote:
CarlosV wrote:Thanks for the tip, I bought one (they ship to Europe). I have some stubborn noisy machines, I'll report the results!
Oh my gosh! Carlos, did you really pay the $61.25 shipping to Europe? I was tempted to order a bottle until I saw that...
I thought it would be worthwhile for a bottle that would last for a lifetime, but ended up not paying it, the seller cancelled the deal, according to him Ebay will not ship to Europe (even though it was listed as worldwide shipment)... I'll try the English one that Brian suggested, shipment is (slightly) cheaper.
Last edited by CarlosV on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

jamiegramo wrote:
I thought it would be worthwhile for a bottle that would last for a lifetime, but ended up not paying it, the seller cancelled the deal, according to him Ebay will not ship to Europe (even though it was listed as worldwide shipment)... I'll try the English one that Brian suggested, shipment is (slightly) cheaper.

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

fran604g wrote:How's the odor? I've never come across heavy gear oil that doesn't stink to high heaven.

Best,
Fran
It stinks like other differential oil but doesnt bother me. Its not terribly strong and I dont really smell it on my machines. Good stuff!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

hearsedriver wrote:
fran604g wrote:How's the odor? I've never come across heavy gear oil that doesn't stink to high heaven.

Best,
Fran
It stinks like other differential oil but doesnt bother me. Its not terribly strong and I dont really smell it on my machines. Good stuff!
Thanks!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

hearsedriver wrote:

Best,
Fran
What stinks is a noisy motor.