Ultrasonic cleaning of a cylinder.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cylinder.

Post by 12jslater »

Would it be possible to ultra sonically clean a cylinder no amberols due to its plaster core but say a wax cylinder with heavy mould growth could be cleaned in a ultrasonic parts cleaner? Or would it break the cylinder? I may try it with a really bad cylinder where nothing would be lost by damage.

Interesting to hear any answers.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of a cylinder.

Post by Curt A »

Who knows how well it would work, but it you are trying it on a moldy cylinder... go for it. However, no matter how clean it gets, nothing is going to fix the mold damage in the grooves... it will still sound awful..
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I tend to agree that ultrasonic cleaning would probably damage the cylinders. Mold on cylinders does not only grow on the cylinder but also eats away at the actual wax of the cylinder. Even if there was, and there isn't, a way to remove heavy mold from a cylinder without any damage to it most of the time the cylinder would play very poorly or not at all. The mold actually eats away the wax surface where the recording was.

Rich Gordon

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I was also thinking of using a cylinder that has light hazing of mould where the cylinder is discoloured, I may even try it with some of my early indistructables of which I have only two but they are solid celluloid with no separate core, I wonder how much dirt it will remove.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

For cleaning cylinders with a light haze on them I would suggest using Labtone. See my posting at the following link.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=30599

Rich Gordon