Polish Columbia Nickel Horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
columbia1spring
Victor II
Personal Text: When cycling, an overpass is not considered a mountain!

Polish Columbia Nickel Horn

Post by columbia1spring »

I am definetly an as found type collector but i recently saved a Columbia nickel horn. It is covered in mold and with algeries and such it just sits in the attic, away from everyone.
Can it be polished by hand or will it need a pro to get that great shine i see from time to time. Perhaps just remove the mold and leave it dull?

wjw
Victor II

Re: Polish Columbia Nickel Horn

Post by wjw »

The mold makes me think the horn is coated with shellac. You can try alcohol or ammonia to dissolve it. - bill

columbia1spring
Victor II

Just basic rubbing alcohol?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I cleaned one awhile back and tried just rubbing alcohol, with no results. Ammonia is a better choice, but still might not cut it. You might try Acetone, but Xylene finally removed it for me... The nickel horns are coated, like musical instruments to protect the finish, and years of crud attaches to the coating making it extremely difficult to remove.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

On a side note, the title of your thread is: "Polish Columbia Nickel Horn"

Just wondering... how did you determine that it was from Poland?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Tough to keep a solvent wet on a big item like that. You can't just let it soak in a coffee cup overnight. There's a product called Ready Strip at Home Despot that was recommended to me to strip some wretched window frames I've been fighting with. I was amazed that 24 hours after application the job was still wet and the paint slid right off with a putty knife. Also it has no methyl chloride so it's odorless and doesn't bore holes in your skin. Water clean up. If you like I can try it on nickel plate to see if it's "safe". Mind you, I don't have any Polish nickel around....-bill

Rexophone
Victor I

Post by Rexophone »

I can respond to Bill's comment about using stripper on your horn. As it happens, I just finished using Home Depot stripper on a Columbia nickel plated horn which had been painted. A few seconds after brushing on the stripper, the paint came off with a garden hose and the nickel looked brand-new. I applied stripper several more times to get into cracks and such with no impact at all to the nickel. Unfortunately my horn has some light rust on some of the pedals which now looks rather dark compared to the nice nickel. I will have to decide if I want to keep the original nickel and just clean up the non-plated spots the best I can--always decisions to make in this hobby.

columbia1spring
Victor II

The mold came right off with never dull. I then used brasso and the horn cleaned up exceptionaly well. There is however a light brownish hugh on the horn that i feel is laquer????. It looks amazing as is so i will leave the original finish alone.
Attachments
WP_20170616_19_12_38_Pro.jpg