Stuck Hand Crank - Victrola VV-XI

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
starr2009
Victor Jr

Stuck Hand Crank - Victrola VV-XI

Post by starr2009 »

I have a stuck Crank that I can't seem to remove. I'm not sure if it's rusted on there or just tight. I don't want to force it off because I fear of bending something. Does anyone have any ideas on what steps I can take on how to remove?

Thanks.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Stuck Hand Crank - Victrola VV-XI

Post by Henry »

Remove the upper part of the back panel (two screws) to access the motor compartment. Squirt penetrating oil (I use a product called PowerLube from the auto/hardware store) on the threaded end of the "winding key" (Victorspeak) at the motor frame near where it engages the spring barrel. The addition of some clean heat (as from a Zippo flame) to the key at that point might speed the process. Next, I would use a rubber mallet with low impact on the wooden handle to break the death grip; remember, you are tapping in a CCW direction (facing the side of the cabinet).

starr2009
Victor Jr

Post by starr2009 »

Wow I didn't even notice that the back panel came off. I ended up using PB penetrating catalyst and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then used the rubber mallet and it did the trick.

Thank You.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

You're welcome! Now you can get at the motor the easy way! I own a VV-XI (serial 370333G) and I'll be happy to talk you through other servicing issues. There's a lot of talking machine savvy, collectively speaking, on the board, and there's usually somebody ready to lend a hand.

starr2009
Victor Jr

Post by starr2009 »

I know this hasen't been serviced in quite some time. No telling how long the handle was stuck on there. I'm sure I need to clean the gears and put on some new grease. What do you use to remove the old grease? Is automotive lithium grease ok to use or is there a better product. My VV-XI serial number is 360900G.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I took the easy way and sent my spring motor out for CLA. I used Victrola Repair Service in Vermont. It appears that they used an automotive grease, but it wasn't the white lithium stuff---more like a purplish-brown. It's probably bearing grease (looks like the stuff I use on my boat trailer). Wish they HAD used the lithium; it's great stuff and it would look a lot cleaner when it starts oozing out of the motor barrel!

I'm sure others will chime in here and give you the benefit of their experiences.

starr2009
Victor Jr

Post by starr2009 »

How satisfied are you with their work?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

It's OK; no raves. They cleaned up everything real nice, although it was pretty clean to begin with. There is still a thump at the nineteenth turn of the crank ("winding key") on wind-up, and a (corresponding?) quick release of tension in the one spring barrel on playout, but these are minor annoyances that don't interfere with function in any way. I had to negotiate some with them over price for the job, as I felt that their web site was unclear at that time; they have since clarified that issue. They also rebuilt the Exhibition sound box, and while they used really good pliable diaphragm gaskets (retaining the original diaphragm, which will, I think, outlast me), I later performed some adjustments which improved the sound quality even more. Would I use them again? Yeah, I guess so, but I would probably cast about for other opinions.

BTW, I notice now that your previous question had to do with gears and not the spring motor. I use Labelle 106 for gear lube (model rr hobby shop) and Labelle 101, 107, and 108 for oils (varying viscosities, depending on application). But you might also consider A+D Ointment for gears (it's a combination of Vaseline and lanolin, OTC at drugstore), and any high-quality light machine oil for bearings and such.

To remove the old grease and crud, mineral spirits ("paint thinner") is as good as any. For stubborn areas, Ronsonol (naphtha) will cut through just about anything.

kcj

Looking for Hand Crank for VV-100

Post by kcj »

Lucky - Found a Victrola at garage sale it is missing the key an the hand crank. Do you know anyone in Tx that refurbishes or has parts?
Thanks.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Hm-m-m. Now how did my previous reply (above) end up posted here under somebody else's name? And who is "mronhifi123" with his 3 posts (well, two, really, since one of them is mine)? Somebody plugging his "Interior Decoration Books"? Seems that he just joined today. (I'll be sure NOT to click on that link!)

Moderators, what gives? OK, I see his post has already been reported.