Help with Thorens Excelda

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
ldelin
Victor Jr

Help with Thorens Excelda

Post by ldelin »

I just acquired a Thorens Excelda that is in need of some repair. I'd love to hear from someone who has some experience with them, and could answer a few questions about disassembly and repair of the motor.

Thank you.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Help with Thorens Excelda

Post by Curt A »

How about a pic or two of what you think is wrong with it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

ldelin
Victor Jr

Re: Help with Thorens Excelda

Post by ldelin »

I believe the primary problem is the fiber/nylon gear. When I wind it up and lower the speed lever, it unwinds quickly and barely moves the governor. I expect it also needs cleaning and lubrication.
But my first problem is removing the motor from the case. There are three screws on the underside that would appear to be holding the motor/frame in the sheet metal case; but when I remove all three screws, the motor assembly will not budge. I thought the whole motor assembly would come out intact, making it much easier to observe and diagnose the problem. Now I wonder if the motor must be disassembled piece-by-piece to remove it.
It sounds and looks like the main drive gears in the motor are not firmly engaging the governor shaft as it unwinds; but I can't get a very good look at the mechanism while it's inside the case. I think that the fiber gear is what engages the governor shaft, and that it's worn to a point where it allows the motor to "freewheel" when unwinding.

I raise the speed control lever; and wind it up. When I move the speed lever down just slightly, the motor quickly unwinds at a furious speed. As this happens, I'm hearing a "racheting" like sound, like the teeth of a gear skipping, instead of engaging.

I'm hoping to find someone who has been through one of these; who can advise me of the pitfalls and bonehead mistakes I'm likely to make as I go through it. Firstly, that would be getting the motor assembly out of the case; so I can see and determine exactly what's wrong.