Victrola 2-65 governor adjustment and slow play

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
skrogh
Victor Jr

Victrola 2-65 governor adjustment and slow play

Post by skrogh »

Hi. I'm having trouble adjusting my Victrola 2-65 to play correctly. I've been adjusting the governor to allow for some 'play' in it but I can't seem to get the phonograph to play well. The instant I put the needle to the record it slows down and stops. I've been trying off and on for weeks to get it set right. The closet I've come is it would play but slow down and pick up speed during play. I've readjusted the tone arm and upped the speed during play. I've already cleaned, greased and oiled the motor. I am going to make a new rear flange for the reproducer as well. Any suggestions or advice are welcome! Thank you.

~ Scott

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Victrola 2-65 governor adjustment and slow play

Post by CharliePhono »

Hi Sean. I have one of these machines as well, but rarely use it. You mentioned having oiled and greased the motor, but have you attempted to remove, clean, and regrease the spring? This can be daunting unless your mechanically handy, as the spring barrel is riveted shut. Better part of valor might be to remove the spring barrel completely and send it to any one of the repair people (listed in the "Archives" section). But, I do know that a spring that is gunked up with ancient, hardened grease is one of the potential causes for the symptoms you describe. Also check to be sure your governor springs are intact and not loose.

Drag, from trying to play a very worn record or a record produced in the very late 30s thru the 1950s is another potential cause. Try to play records which were recorded contemporary to the machine (1920s-around 1935/6) and that are reasonably clean without bad wear. Make sure you are using a fresh needle with each play, i.e., using the point only once. Ensure as well that there is no potential drag on the turntable from a brake mechanism out of adjustment (pad rubbing the turntable).

Just my 2 cents, and I'm sure others will weigh in on other potential causes. Good luck and keep us posted.

skrogh
Victor Jr

Post by skrogh »

Hi! Thank you for your suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll make sure I change the needle and play an earlier record. That's interesting that the 20s/30s 78s play differently than the ones from the 40s and later. I pulled the spring and regreased it already. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with screws. I'm going to adjust the governor some more and see if I can get it set correctly. I may also adjust the tone arm. Thank you again. Will post results.

~ Scott

skrogh
Victor Jr

Post by skrogh »

So I was able to get the phonograph running. I greased the ends of the governor spindle. It still slows down a little here and there but it picks up speed again and continues to play to end of song. I'm going to replace the rear flange on the reproducer and see if that helps as well. Thanks again. ~ Scott

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I neglected to mention to inspect your governor leather. These are often glazed, hard, and incapable of holding any oil. This is also often a cause of uneven speed. Do a search here under "governor leather," and there is a thread dealing with this, albeit on an HMV machine. The principle is the same. There are even threads here about possibly rejuvenating your existing leather.

There are many others on this forum who've forgotten more than I'll ever know about this hobby, but among the reasons for not playing the later 78s on your machine include much softer materials used in the composition of the discs, through which the heavy soundboxes plow and bog down, in addition to the more vigorous modulation in the grooves of the later recordings, which, in concert with the material, can create drag. As well, if these later 78s are of value to you, the V-2-55 will be detrimental to the records.

Always important to replace the isolator/flange on the soundbox, which you say you are doing. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that would have a great effect on the wow/uneven speed you're experiencing.

Keep us posted. The 2-55 is a tank. Well, except for that tone arm bracket. Thankfully, mine is still intact.