Edison Case Decal Restorations

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
hearsedriver
Victor III

Edison Case Decal Restorations

Post by hearsedriver »

I wanted to share some of the Edison case decal restorations that I have done using various paints and tinted lacquers. Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
home6.jpg
standard.jpg
standard d.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Edison Case Decal Restorations

Post by Phonofreak »

These look great. Can you show us how to do this? What brands of paint did you use? That's better than using a new decal.
Harvey Kravitz

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Thanks Harvey. I just used various shades of Testors gold lacquer paints and a small brush. I blended them to match the color that needed filled in. I used Mohawk perfect brown lacquer with a small brush to tint them as needed. I did the painting under magnification and just took my time. I used a thin black Sharpie wherever I needed to outline in black and for the lettering. Once the perfect brown lacquer is brushed over the black, it looks original. I have tried replacing the missing sections with a pieces of a reproduction decal but, they didnt quite fit and the color wasnt right anyway. This method is not hard if you have any artist ability at all. Juts make sure to use lacquer paints and not enamel.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

My method is similar. I use either Pactra, Testers or Tamaya gold leaf. For the tint, I uses Bullseye Orange Shellac. To touch up the black lettering, I either use a very fine Sharpie marker. Or a very fine brush with black Tamaya pints. Great Job.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This is basically what PhotoShopping a digital image is like. You magnify the image and repair small portions - the only difference is that you are doing it on an actual object.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Looking good, great job.....

Bill K