Where To Buy Cylinders In The UK?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Where To Buy Cylinders In The UK?

Post by 12jslater »

It seems as if in America there are many collectors fairs and antique shops that sell cylinders. However in England I have only ever come across 1 shop selling cylinders which were caked in mould.

Any suggestions other than eBay, buying antiques on eBay isn't that same as digging through a box of cylinders in real life there is just something about it.

Thanks, Jake

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Where To Buy Cylinders In The UK?

Post by Curt A »

Jake, I agree with you that finding them in the wild is the fun part, but in the US there are only a couple of phonograph shows and several other events that you might find them at. The best cylinders I have found came from collectors of disc records who didn't care for cylinders, but would grab them when they came across some.

The problem with shows is that you are buying them from other collector/delers who usually know which ones are keepers or at least they know the values. I prefer stumbling onto them at antique shops or on eBay because you might find a sleeper in the bunch... Even then, antique sellers may not know anything about them, except they know they are old and usually they overprice them.

You may already know the dealer in London who sets up at Portobello Road under the flyover... he seems to have a variety of phono related items and may be a good source.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Thanks for the advice I only paid £4 each for them when I did find them a couple of gems they were to , "sons of Uncle Sam" Edward meeker and "all coons look alike to me" Billy Willian's.

Thanks, Jake

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

12jslater wrote:It seems as if in America there are many collectors fairs and antique shops that sell cylinders. However in England I have only ever come across 1 shop selling cylinders which were caked in mould.

Any suggestions other than eBay, buying antiques on eBay isn't that same as digging through a box of cylinders in real life there is just something about it.

Thanks, Jake
You have just missed the CLPGS Phonofair which took place on 24th June and was advertised in the "Society News" section of this forum. This annual event always includes a large number of cylinders, both wax and celluloid, for sale at reasonable prices.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Dear Jake,

You have indeed missed the Powick Phonofair where there are usually boxes of cylinders to rummage through. If you are interested in buying in bulk, there are usually various lots of cylinders at the CLPGS auction which will be held at the Abbey Hotel in Great Malvern on Sunday 8th October.I don't know if there will be any cylinders in the auction this year but there usually are and they can go for prices as little as the equivalent of 50p - £1.00 each.

Check the CLPGS web site for full details www.clpgs.org.uk

All the best

Tim W-W