Decal repair

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
victorthesixth
Victor I

Decal repair

Post by victorthesixth »

I am thinking about getting machine but it has some damage to the decal. Not enough to justify removing the decal and starting from scratch but some damage I would like to get repaired. Is it possible to touch paint repair damaged decals?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Decal repair

Post by phonogfp »

Here's an old thread with a few examples. Just scroll down a bit once you're on the page:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... l+George+P.

George P.

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

Thanks

I read that and you did an excellent job on those columbias. The machine I am looking at is a Columbia. How did you do such a good job. What paints did you use etc

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, thanks. I'm no artist, but I can at least claim patience. :)

By the way, the Globe machine is not a Columbia, but a Talkophone.

I use any real paint such as Rustoleum, Krylon, etc. No Testors (even after it's dry it can be wiped off with a petroleum-based product such as lemon oil). I blend the paint to get the desired color. Quality brushes are a must. Also, markers (such as Sharpies) are very handy for lines, lettering, etc.

I did all this work before Gregg Cline's excellent reproduction decals were available.

Good luck!

George P.