Is this normal or is the mandrel bearing shot?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
hearsedriver
Victor III

Is this normal or is the mandrel bearing shot?

Post by hearsedriver »

Ive got a lot of slop in the mandrel bearing as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THzwHVRGnCQ

Is this normal? The mandrel spins freely when the gate is closed. Im trying to diagnose why the machine bogs down to a stop when I place the reproducer on a cylinder. Im really thinking there is too much pressure on the half nut but, I dont see an adjustment unless the metal plate that holds the nut needs to be shimmed? Thanks

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Is this normal or is the mandrel bearing shot?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Was that video taken with the gate open?

I have to support the mandrel on my Standard B when I close the gate, because of the same slop; and it is a well preserved original.

Bill

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Yes bill. The gate was open. Sounds like it is normal.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The early Model A and B Edisons must have the endgate closed in order for it to run true.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

That is not a bearing. It's simply a support to keep the mandrel from falling off the phonograph when you open the gate. The "bearings" are the end pins, one in the gate & the other at the pulley end, that support and align the mandrel shaft. In other words, what you have is totally normal.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Curiously enough, my Home A has no center bearing either, but has far less 'slop'. This is probably due to the length of the mandrel shaft compared to the Standard.

Bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Most of my standard As and Bs have a lot of play, only a couple of them are close when I shut the end gate. I thought it was from usages. Maybe Edison built some play in. I agree with you bill the homes seem to have a lot less play but the end stays seated better. If I was over one hundred ( not too far off) I bet I would have a lot of play in my connections but the miracles of medicine... Tom B

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

tomb wrote:Most of my standard As and Bs have a lot of play, only a couple of them are close when I shut the end gate. I thought it was from usages. Maybe Edison built some play in. I agree with you bill the homes seem to have a lot less play but the end stays seated better. If I was over one hundred ( not too far off) I bet I would have a lot of play in my connections but the miracles of medicine... Tom B
If your mandrels have lots of play when the endgate is shut, then adjust the bearing/s. They're supposed to have minimal play, just enough to allow free rotation of the mandrel and not anything more. Edison didn't "build in" the play, he provided an adjustment to minimize it.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

There is an adjustment you can do that will keep the mandrel shaft from dropping so far that it has to be picked up to close the end gate.
It has to do with how the mandrel is positioned left-to-right and the position of the drive gear to the left of the support.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wes K wrote:There is an adjustment you can do that will keep the mandrel shaft from dropping so far that it has to be picked up to close the end gate.
It has to do with how the mandrel is positioned left-to-right and the position of the drive gear to the left of the support.
We would appreciate any information on these adjustments, including photos.

Bill