Several Comments

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Several Comments

Post by need4art »

I was really surprised, many of the forum members will comment on a new issue when it comes out and I did not see one on this issue-and it was great!Robert Feinstein's article about the Bettini recordings was so good that I almost thought about giving him one of mine...but I don't have any either!!! And while I do not own one, George's report on the Type GG was outstanding, but George I cannot wait 45 years to find one- that would make me just a bit over 115 and I do not think I am going to make that, unless they figure out how to replace a lot more of our parts. But as they say "ya just never know".Add to that Bob's article on Herzog Art Furniture and all the other article's in the issue and you have a truly outstanding magazine.

Did anyone see the new movie trailer on the Current Wars-or the movie itself-it is for better or worse about our hero,or not Thomas Edison!

And another comment I saw was that perhaps we should have a heading for Radio/Phonograph combinations-I second that. There are a number of us that have morphed into that area, and I have been noodling about on the antique radio forum, reading (not really understanding it all) and have ventured into that area even doing a bit of that work myself. Its all a learning process like redoing spring motors, reproducers and touching up finishes. It expands the hobby, adds new interest and may get some additional members to join.

This hobby IS alive and well!
Abe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Several Comments

Post by phonogfp »

I'm pleased that you enjoyed my article, Abe, as well as the rest of the September issue of The Antique Phonograph. We're lucky to have so many authors willing to write about antique phonographs. In my case, research on Graphophone Grand (GG) production was helped a great deal by Chuck Azzalina's questionnaire which appeared on this forum during the summer of 2016, and to which a number of forum members contributed:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... hone+grand

My thanks to all who helped. :)

By the way, is there a reason this thread is in the "Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials" section?

Best to all,
George P.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Hi George,
No reason except it was a very long day, in a series of them. Getting old also contributes to the excuse and after I wrote it and realised that I had posted it in the wrong area I could not figure out how to move it to Machines where I had intended on posting it-MY BAD. If someone can move it I would be pleased to have it done.

While it would be great to have a separate slot for the radio/phonograph combinations I understand if it to much to ask to have that done-as APS and the Forum is already doing so much great work, but I think that the area would get some usage and it would be easier for those of us that have gotten into that field to be able to develop a "go to group" for information.

While I and the other members of the Forum understand that the magazine is not a one person effort I was just wanting to say thank you for a great effort. I was truly sorry that I was not able to meet you at the Ca. show but my son is only going to be 40 once and his wife wanted us to be there for his surprise 40th birthday party-and to be honest after she asked my wife I had no choice in the matter!

Abe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Abe,

Understood and empathizing on all fronts! :lol:

George P.