Cleaning the turntable felt

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Cleaning the turntable felt

Post by travisgreyfox »

So, was wondering if you guys had some miracle cleaning solution for getting dirt and grime out of the turntable felt? I use my wife's laundry spray (stain remover) and it seems to work OK.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Cleaning the turntable felt

Post by OrthoSean »

I use Woollite, one capful in my kitchen sink about half full of tepid water. I let it soak for 10 minutes or so, then use a soft bristled brush to gently scrub dirt and grease free. Immerse back into the solution for another 10 minutes or so, agitating every few minutes. Rinse thoroughly under the faucet until no more suds and gunk rinse out. Let dry, I do this on a sunny day and dry them in my driveway. It has worked great for every one I've ever done. I usually do three or four at a time when I mix up a solution.

Sean

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

^ Wait... do you do the above with the old felt still affixed to the platter? Wouldn't the water damage the platter? Thanks.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Never had any damage to a turntable, I dunk the entire thing. I've done at least 60-75 this way, no issues.

Sean

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

OrthoSean wrote:Never had any damage to a turntable, I dunk the entire thing. I've done at least 60-75 this way, no issues.

Sean
You clearly haven't done enough to know for sure you won't damage anything, then.... :roll:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

New Yorker wrote:^ Wait... do you do the above with the old felt still affixed to the platter? Wouldn't the water damage the platter? Thanks.
You have to wash it while affixed to the platter, otherwise the felt will shrink and/or get out of form. You'll never get it back on the way it was. Been there, done that. The platter is steel and as long as you don't let it sit in the water for weeks it won't do any damage. I mean, you wash your car as well without hurting it.

Andreas

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Another method I have used to clean heavy staining (especially grease/oil) is Naptha. This is commonly available as Ronsonol or Zippo lighter fluid. Simply wet a rag with it (outside) and blot the stain. You can also soak the area of felt and carefully use a stiff brush to lift harder stains. Naptha evaporates completely with no residue, even on paper. A long time ago there used to be a laundry product called "Energine" which was used for spot removal on clothing. Surprise...it was 100% Naptha. See also: Fels-Naptha laundry soap (which sadly no longer contains Naptha because solvents are evil and therefore we can't have nice things.)

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Great stuff. I have some new cleaning methods to try out now.

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

alang wrote:
New Yorker wrote:^ Wait... do you do the above with the old felt still affixed to the platter? Wouldn't the water damage the platter? Thanks.
You have to wash it while affixed to the platter, otherwise the felt will shrink and/or get out of form. You'll never get it back on the way it was. Been there, done that. The platter is steel and as long as you don't let it sit in the water for weeks it won't do any damage. I mean, you wash your car as well without hurting it.

Andreas
Did it your way and it worked great! Thanks - both you and Sean - for the tip.
Attachments
356129FB-328F-41C7-95AF-ACB78BD1D349.jpeg
Last edited by New Yorker on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow, that looks great! Glad I was able to help.

Andreas