Tonearm lubrication?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
TonyJ
Victor I

Tonearm lubrication?

Post by TonyJ »

I recently got a VV-XI and the short "u-tube" between the soundbox and main tonearm had some waxy looking residue around the area where it enters the main tonearm. I took the short tube off and cleaned it off and it came out nicely. That same substance is present all the way to the inserted end and wondered if it was put on there as lubrication initially, or is it something else to prevent "air leaks" in the moveable items.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Tonearm lubrication?

Post by JerryVan »

I believe the answer is both. It lubricates the joint and, at the same time, seals it. I use a light grease, something like Lubriplate. I also use enough grease at the base of the tonearm, where the bearings ride, to not only lubricate the bearings but to also fill the voids in that joint. (We're talking Victor arms obviously.)

wheelgun357
Victor O

Post by wheelgun357 »

i actually use a gun grease that stays where you put it and lubes just right, Rig Gun Grease

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

I just checked on the web and found that the manufacturer has discontinued Rig Gun Grease! DRAT!! :cry:

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I've never used anything on my XI taper tube but light oil, in my case LaBelle 107. If you want a good grease, I recommend LaBelle 106. This line of synthetic lubricants is available at many model railroad hobby shops, and is worth looking for.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Try to find lubricants with minimal odor...

I made a mistake using Sta-Lube graphite grease in the spring barrel on a nice golden oak 1921 VV-XI a few years ago... machine looks and plays great, but every time I open the lid, the petroleum odor from the automotive grease really hits me... :shock: :monkey:
De Soto Frank

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

See my post above. Labelle 106 has no odor. For that matter, neither does petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or petroleum jelly + lanolin (A+D Ointment). Any of these would be suitable for lubricating around the base of the taper tube. I would not attempt to disassemble the taper tube from its base because of the risk of spilling (and losing) the ball bearings. For this reason I have used only Labelle 107, a viscous gear oil, and 106, a synthetic lubricant of about the consistency of Vaseline, with added Teflon. Both of these products are sold in containers with precision dispenser tips, and require merely to be injected into the space between the base of the taper tube and its bracket. Of course, if there is a lot of crud there on your machine, then disassembly may be necessary. I was fortunate not to have this problem on my XI.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I use Lo-Co oil with the zoom spout. It comes in a clear bottle and doesn't gum up. The telescoping tube is great for hard to reach area like bearings and governors. I got mine at NAPA auto parts store for around $3.50.
Harvey Kravitz