Veneer Removal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victor78
Victor I

Veneer Removal

Post by Victor78 »

I have a generic upright that was pretty trashed, and before I junk the cabinet, Id like to harvest some of the veneer for future projects. What is the best way to remove it without it breaking into pieces? I have the cabinet taken apart and kept the doors, lid and sides. I can keep it this way until I need some pieces, but when It comes to use it, how does a person remove it safely?

- Jim

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Veneer Removal

Post by Zeppy »

I had a few large pieces I've left on the back porch hoping that the normal dampness and changes in weather would be enough to loosen it without ruining it....Well, I put them out in spring, and I'm still waiting....so this is probably not the most efficient way of doing it.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

A flooded basement usually does the trick! ;)

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

If the veneer is attached with hide glue, heat should soften it. Try a hot iron under a slightly damp towel. Use a flexible putty knife to help persuade it. Another option is to put it a hot oven and prepare for a stink-a-thon.

You could also soak it in the tub.

Let us know how you make out.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Ok, I tried the flooded basement trick, but boy did I catch hell when the wife came home! I guess we are having goose for Thanksgiving cuz mine is cooked :lol:

Should I just keep this as is for now, or take it off and store it. Am I taking a chance that it will curl up when it dries?

- Jim

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

The easiest way to do it is let it float in the bathtub for a day. It doesn't hurt the wood, but it will come off. Do it will old radios all the time.
Victor78 wrote:I have a generic upright that was pretty trashed, and before I junk the cabinet, Id like to harvest some of the veneer for future projects. What is the best way to remove it without it breaking into pieces? I have the cabinet taken apart and kept the doors, lid and sides. I can keep it this way until I need some pieces, but when It comes to use it, how does a person remove it safely?

- Jim

frankt
Victor Jr

Post by frankt »

another good way to remove the old veneer is with a heat gun to remove old paint. just remove a small section at a time with a putty knife under the old veneer. this is the method i used restoring my 10-50 which all the veneer had to be replaced. and yes, it does STINK. this is a quicker way, and you don't have to wet the wood causing further damage.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Hide glue softens right up with the application of moist heat, i.e. 'steam' (actually water vapor). A wallpaper or clothing steamer and a putty knife work well, or even an old tea kettle with a fitting added to the spout in order to connect a rubber hose with a piece of copper tubing with the end crushed flat. If using a homemade 'boiler', be sure it is NOT tightly sealed so pressure doesn't build up and cause an explosion. Also, you'll need a wooden handle attached to the business end somewhere and gloves.

A friend who builds and repairs stringed instruments showed me how necks are often removed by removing a fret wire, drilling a hole in the fret channel just large enough to accommodate a basketball inflation needle, inserting said needle into the hole to the depth of the glue joint and injecting 'steam' through a rubber hose from a tea kettle rig. The hide glue softens up and the neck slides out of the slot. I've used this trick a number of times to undo furniture joints, but without the benefit of hiding the hole under the fret wire! A dop of stick shellac will hide a hole, though.

Only hide glue responds to moist heat. Casein and other 'modern' glues won't soften that way. One of the advantages of hide glue is that it is completely reversible.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

nipper
Victor O
Personal Text: "Always On Vacation"

Post by nipper »

I use the heat gun in most cases, I will recommend that you try it on some scrap wood first.

The steam technique is also fairly easy. (Heat iron with a damp towel, make sure the towel is always damp.)

Aloha :D

Nipper