Why don't people just have pot metal parts reproduced?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Why don't people just have pot metal parts reproduced?

Post by 12jslater »

I own a Columbia 112 I picked up for free and I recently broke a small piece from the pot metal tone arm, after removing the pot metal horn I sent them off to a foundry who can reproduce them in cast aluminium for only £50 for the two!!

So why don't more people do this with pot metal issues? Its not very expensive, its easy and quick and you can choose the material it is made from making the gramophone or phonograph last for another 100 years by which time all other Columbia 112's arm and horn will be too brittle to use or just dust.

And pot metal reproducers such as the no4 or n05 could benefit from this greatly.

Any thoughts?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Why don't people just have pot metal parts reproduced?

Post by epigramophone »

Where's this foundry? It sounds like a useful contact.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

That sounds amazingly cheap! I'm no expert (far from it) but dimensions might need great care, as (1) if copying pot metal parts, they may have expanded since they were new and (2) casting involves some shrinkage.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

It may be that the process will become very much more complicated if one is trying to replicate a component which calls for very precise dimensions and for which the original is swollen, blistered or otherwise distorted. A later Edison mandrel bearing or reproducer top might be an example, and I feel that sound-box backs (which Jake has mentioned) might raise similar problems. Nonetheless, a valuable and constructive suggestion on his part. I am sure we all look forward to hearing how this first project turns out.

Oliver Mundy.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

As others have mentioned, using a warped swollen part as a pattern will only yield another warped, swollen part as a new casting. If your piece was simply broken, then you stand a better chance at success. The other factor is that many pot metal parts are also machined after casting. Getting machining done can be expensive. Castings can also be expensive if they require cores and core boxes, (in other words, if the castings are hollow or have complex shapes). Then there's finding a foundry and/or machinist who will deal with an individual.

It looks as if you lucked out on that last point. Also perhaps lucky if the piece you need is not complex in its shape and does not need machining after casting. In other words, it ain't normally that cheap or easy. I think you just got lucky.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Its an arm for a Columbia 112 portable, the arm is potmetal and sits into a brass bearing, and the horn which is fairly simple all I need to do myself is drill a few holes and cut thread into two of the holes.

Thanks for the questions, Jake

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Jake, Great Job saving this Columbia. I'd bet you are one of the few collectors who would do something like this. More power to you and may you save many more gramophones in the future.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I'd love to see pictures.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

I'll post pictures when i receive the parts back and im only 16 so understandably my budget is limited and i had wanted a Columbia portable with straight tone arm for a while now but had put it off due to the pot metal problems and seen as i got one for free i decided it was now or never to do it.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I bet having a Heinemann No. 10 tone arm cast with the spring loaded back bracket would be expensive.