Any one have photos of hook up of dance reproducer?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
larryh
Victor IV

Any one have photos of hook up of dance reproducer?

Post by larryh »

Hello all,

One of the people I am working with is interested in me creating a diaphragm for his new Dance Reproducer. He has mentioned that the linkage should be connected to the stylus without the usual method I have been using of the little metal screw loop below the diaphragm. He sent me some photos of the parts of a dance reproducer in pieces. I see the cross bar in the tone arm above the diaphragm. Where and how does the spring the Dance used get from that bar to what ever it holds too? Does it actually somehow operate on the rear of the stylus like the spring in the Edisonic? I need someone to produce a photo of how the relationship of the parts in it differ from the normal ones? Is there something about the dance that would prevent the use of the hook eye hanging below the diaphragm as I have been doing recently?

I read in Frows book something interesting about them. The edison ad in there mentions that they have recorded the records people will use for dance "louder" than the others recorded in the more normal volume? It might explain why some are so loud and others seemingly less so? It also says the dance reproducer will play "most" previous dance records well. Whats that about! Sounds like they were hearing some of the same issues that plaques me today in trying to find something that will preform well on all records?

Larry

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Any one have photos of hook up of dance reproducer?

Post by larryh »

The fellow that has the reproducer informed me that it does need to hook to the top of the diaphragm so that the normal set up for making them would be about the same but the top needs a hook eye for the spring. Anyone know how much of a real pull this spring might have, very light, medium, heavy? I haven't a clue. I know that normally I use the self adhesive cap piece but if the spring is going to exert much pressure it may come loose even with the threaded screw also under neath into it? Anyone have any experience with this spring?

Larry