Outside fabric issue on VV-35

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Outside fabric issue on VV-35

Post by Victor A »

Hi all,

So my VV-35 has an outside fabric cover, that is torn in spots along the top left edge of the lid. It looks like there was a middle section that was completely torn off the machine, and now, when I try to align the two ripped edges of the fabric, there is a gap between them, so they won't meet.

Any help?

Thanks
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Outside fabric issue on VV-35

Post by Phonofreak »

Here is what I have done with torn or missing fabric on portables, record cases and such. I go to a fabric store and get as close to a match as I can. I cut and fit the missing pieces. I glue those down. Then I glue the torn fabric down. After everything is dry and cured, I use good old fashioned Kiwi black shoe polish. I smear it on thick. I let dry, and buff. You may have to put on a couple of coats. The thick coatings hide the seams of the joined fabric.
Harvey Kravitz

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

Victor A wrote:Hi all,

So my VV-35 has an outside fabric cover, that is torn in spots along the top left edge of the lid. It looks like there was a middle section that was completely torn off the machine, and now, when I try to align the two ripped edges of the fabric, there is a gap between them, so they won't meet.

Any help?

Thanks
im no seamstress but what about some kind of border around it to hid the section that wont meet? like ribbon or colored lace or braided material like they use on shirts western wear..just got to think outside the box ..your not ruining it just embellishing the worn spots..you could even tea dye it to make it look older..and blend in with the orig fabric;];];]and for glue use the tacky glue. for fabrics in the craft isle ;];];];]

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

These are some good ideas. Thank you both!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I think Harvey's advice is good. I have used this method on several fabric covered cases. The only difference, is that I have used KIWI Scuff Coat liquid shoe polish and when the repair is made, I coat the entire box with it to make all of the areas blend together and appear refreshed. Then, there is no difference between the repaired area and the entire case, since they are all the same color...
Attachments
kiwiscuffcoverliquidblack400w.jpg
kiwiscuffcoverliquidblack400w.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »