New Diaphragm Photos and discussion.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
larryh
Victor IV

New Diaphragm Photos and discussion.

Post by larryh »

After discussing with several members on and off the board about designing diaphragms the subject of peoples favorite replacements were. Waltrip seems to have been a real favorite and choice of many. I have one of the foam models I got from Steve Medved. Its an interesting and very distortion free model. Its flaw if it is one is that it doesn't bring out the real variations in sound and somewhat mutes them which may be the secret of low distortion in my mind?
I am hoping we can get others who have Waltrip or other non conventional disc machine diaphragms to post photos of them for us to share insights into the way they were made. I will start here with my Waltrip which I understand is perhaps egg carton material or meat tray formed into a rather workable example.
Attachments
Waltrip foam diaphragm. Clear but muted sound.
Waltrip foam diaphragm. Clear but muted sound.
DSC04100.JPG
DSC04101.JPG

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Re: New Diaphragm Photos and discussion.

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

Thanks for posting images Larry, I've been wondering what the Waltrip models looked like!

larryh
Victor IV

Re: New Diaphragm Photos and discussion.

Post by larryh »

Oddly after having issues with mine and wanting a reference again, I installed this Waltrip and the link was way too short putting the needle at a steep angle. I added a loop too it to make it the right length, but it sounded very bad. I know when I got it from steven that it sounded clear but muted. However now it doesn't. Funny too that it gave the same odd sounds that a mostly foam model I recently patterned something like this one only with eventually an addition of a shellacked paper which gave it more volume but it broke up on things exactly as this one is now doing? Odd how this business gets so frustrating..