Mica Diaphragm On HMV No.5 Sounds AMAZING!!!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
12jslater
Victor II

Mica Diaphragm On HMV No.5 Sounds AMAZING!!!

Post by 12jslater »

I tore the diaphragm on my hmv no.5 soundbox with a screwdriver after trying to remove the front plate to clean the diaphragm with alcohol as it was filthy i slipped and the screwdriver went straight through the diaphragm and put a 2" long tear in the diaphragm.

I didn't want to loose this soundbox so i removed the aluminium spider free from the diaphragm and replaced the aluminium one with mica of the same size i replaced the gaskets with a slightly thicker felt and used epoxy to glue the aluminium spider to the mica and put a tiny dot of epoxy on a cocktail stick to fill in the small hold in the mics which is originally meant for the needle bar screw.

My hopes were low but after testing and tuning i feel that this is my best soundbox and easily out performs my meltrope 3, it has the bass of a No4 but the clarity of a No5.

If you have a No.5 with a broken diaphragm i STRONGLY recommend it!!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Mica Diaphragm On HMV No.5 Sounds AMAZING!!!

Post by OrthoFan »

Another option would be to install one of the reproduction replacement diaphragms, such as this one -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Orthoph ... 2726340346
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.44 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Also available here -- http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/motor.html

In this case, you'd have to reattach the spider.

OrthoFan

12jslater
Victor II

Re: Mica Diaphragm On HMV No.5 Sounds AMAZING!!!

Post by 12jslater »

I never knew replacements were available but this isn't in good condition cosmetically as i only paid £30 for it so i dont want to be spending any money on it really, however the sound is honestly fantastic the depth of the bass the lack of surface noise and the clarity of the trebles is fantastic ill post a video in a bit as it will even make a hmv 101 so un on par with NY table top machine.