Newbie help: VV 2-55 table not held to spindle

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Montanaclan
Victor Jr

Newbie help: VV 2-55 table not held to spindle

Post by Montanaclan »

Hi - I recently picked up this player, and my problem is that when the brake is on or when I'm cranking up the motor, the spindle can turn freely under the turntable. The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle. Maybe it's just a simple lock ring that sits above on the spindle above the table when it's in place?

I'd sure appreciate any help! Thanks -

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Re: Newbie help: VV 2-55 table not held to spindle

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

Montanaclan wrote:...The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle.
It sounds to me like you may be missing the C-clip that holds down the turntable. Without the clip, and with just the slight drag created by the tone arm and reproducer, the ends of the cross-pin in the spindle are "slipping" or "riding out" of the indentations that are pressed into the underside of the hub of the turntable. Instead of locking it into place they are simply pushing the turntable upward as the spindle rotates.

A good picture will surely show the situation.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Does the spindle have a hole in it near its top? If so, remove the turntable, stick a wire, nail or whatever into the hole and turn the spindle to unscrew and remove it. (Don't remember if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise.)

Then, put the turntable in place, and screw the spindle in. It should clamp the turntable down firmly in place.

OF

Montanaclan
Victor Jr

Post by Montanaclan »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Montanaclan wrote:...The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle.
It sounds to me like you may be missing the C-clip that holds down the turntable. Without the clip, and with just the slight drag created by the tone arm and reproducer, the ends of the cross-pin in the spindle are "slipping" or "riding out" of the indentations that are pressed into the underside of the hub of the turntable. Instead of locking it into place they are simply pushing the turntable upward as the spindle rotates.

That's exactly what's going on... I'll take a photo this evening and post it... thanks much for the thought and help!

Montanaclan
Victor Jr

Post by Montanaclan »

OrthoFan wrote:Does the spindle have a hole in it near its top? If so, remove the turntable, stick a wire, nail or whatever into the hole and turn the spindle to unscrew and remove it. (Don't remember if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise.)

Then, put the turntable in place, and screw the spindle in. It should clamp the turntable down firmly in place.

OF
Nope - no hole... I'm thinking that I'm missing a snap ring...

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Montanaclan wrote:
VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:

That's exactly what's going on... I'll take a photo this evening and post it... thanks much for the thought and help!

PM me your address and I will send you one, gratis.

Walt

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

My 2-55 has a screw-down spindle with a tiny hole in it. I've used an ancient icepick to insert into the hole, rotate it, and remove it. That's the only way I know to get the turntable off (or to hold it in place). If a 2-55 came with a circlip hold-down, I'm not aware of it.
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Hi Charlie,

I see a lot of 2-55s in my shop. Some have the through-hole in the threaded spindle top while others have the grooved spindle tip and use the C-clip. Both configurations are common in my experience.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Hi Walt, and thanks for the info.

Montanaclan
Victor Jr

Post by Montanaclan »

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'm enthusiastic but new to these machines. Fixing a broken bit is one thing, figuring out what might be missing is a different kind of question...

Mine is the snap ring type...
Attachments
IMG_6279 (1).JPG
IMG_6282 (1).JPG