The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie help: VV 2-55 table not held to spindle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 pm 
Victor Jr
Hi - I recently picked up this player, and my problem is that when the brake is on or when I'm cranking up the motor, the spindle can turn freely under the turntable. The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle. Maybe it's just a simple lock ring that sits above on the spindle above the table when it's in place?

I'd sure appreciate any help! Thanks -

Post subject: Re: Newbie help: VV 2-55 table not held to spindle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm 
Victor Jr
Montanaclan wrote:
...The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle.

It sounds to me like you may be missing the C-clip that holds down the turntable. Without the clip, and with just the slight drag created by the tone arm and reproducer, the ends of the cross-pin in the spindle are "slipping" or "riding out" of the indentations that are pressed into the underside of the hub of the turntable. Instead of locking it into place they are simply pushing the turntable upward as the spindle rotates.

A good picture will surely show the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm 
Victor IV
Does the spindle have a hole in it near its top? If so, remove the turntable, stick a wire, nail or whatever into the hole and turn the spindle to unscrew and remove it. (Don't remember if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise.)

Then, put the turntable in place, and screw the spindle in. It should clamp the turntable down firmly in place.

OF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Victor Jr
VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Montanaclan wrote:
...The spindle has 2 arms that set into mated depressions in the turn table underside, and I'm not sure what piece I'm missing that will allow the table to 'lock on' to the spindle.

It sounds to me like you may be missing the C-clip that holds down the turntable. Without the clip, and with just the slight drag created by the tone arm and reproducer, the ends of the cross-pin in the spindle are "slipping" or "riding out" of the indentations that are pressed into the underside of the hub of the turntable. Instead of locking it into place they are simply pushing the turntable upward as the spindle rotates.

That's exactly what's going on... I'll take a photo this evening and post it... thanks much for the thought and help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Victor Jr
OrthoFan wrote:
Does the spindle have a hole in it near its top? If so, remove the turntable, stick a wire, nail or whatever into the hole and turn the spindle to unscrew and remove it. (Don't remember if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise.)

Then, put the turntable in place, and screw the spindle in. It should clamp the turntable down firmly in place.

OF

Nope - no hole... I'm thinking that I'm missing a snap ring...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm 
Victor Jr
Montanaclan wrote:
VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Montanaclan wrote:

That's exactly what's going on... I'll take a photo this evening and post it... thanks much for the thought and help!

PM me your address and I will send you one, gratis.

Walt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm 
Victor II
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
My 2-55 has a screw-down spindle with a tiny hole in it. I've used an ancient icepick to insert into the hole, rotate it, and remove it. That's the only way I know to get the turntable off (or to hold it in place). If a 2-55 came with a circlip hold-down, I'm not aware of it.

Attachments:
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG [ 365.91 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 pm 
Victor Jr
Hi Charlie,

I see a lot of 2-55s in my shop. Some have the through-hole in the threaded spindle top while others have the grooved spindle tip and use the C-clip. Both configurations are common in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 am 
Victor II
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
Hi Walt, and thanks for the info.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm 
Victor Jr
Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'm enthusiastic but new to these machines. Fixing a broken bit is one thing, figuring out what might be missing is a different kind of question...

Mine is the snap ring type...

Attachments:
IMG_6279 (1).JPG
IMG_6279 (1).JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 58 times ]
IMG_6282 (1).JPG
IMG_6282 (1).JPG [ 570.31 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]