Tip: Flitz works really well on paint

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Tip: Flitz works really well on paint

Post by oldphonographsteve »

This may just be me being a newbie to the restoration aspect of the hobby, but I found out that flitz, the product we all use to polish the nickel plated parts on our talking machines, is fantastic for cleaning the rusty and grimy paint on a bedplate. I just applied a bit to a soft rag and scrubbed hard and all of the dulled rusty grime came off, and the bedplate shines. Below are the before and after photos as well as some close-ups. I have heard that Meguiar's is the go-to product for paint, but this seems to also work pretty well.

Happy Holidays!

Stephen
Attachments
00303_asz8z7LzeJQ_600x450.jpg
00303_asz8z7LzeJQ_600x450.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image1.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Tip: Flitz works really well on paint

Post by Jerry B. »

Impressive results! Jerry B.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

New Life Furniture Masque works really well for cleaning up bedplates as well - and I use Mother’s as a polish to bring the shine back, same concept. Any fine polish does a great job on paint and Bakelite as well.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

HisMastersVoice wrote:New Life Furniture Masque works really well for cleaning up bedplates as well - and I use Mother’s as a polish to bring the shine back, same concept. Any fine polish does a great job on paint and Bakelite as well.
I've used New Life Furniture Masque before, and it definitely lives up to its name! I can't believe how well the stuff works for reviving an alligatored finish.

Stephen

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Finishing grade, (the finest grade you can get), automotive rubbing compound works very well on dull Edison bed plate finishes**. I apply a bit to a moist rag then rub out the finish. It removes the dead oxide film on the finish surface. You can use it over decals & stripes, but be VERY careful to STOP as soon as the decal/stripe re-appears from under the dirt. Monitor each pass over stripes/decals and be very deliberate about passing over it again. Rinse the compound off when done, then follow up with a good grade of car wax. Stay away from polishes/waxes containing silicone!

**I use this process for black finishes. Maroon finishes may be more delicate. Test and use caution.

BTW, I think Flitz works well due to a very slight abrasive.

FYI, metal polish, like Simicrome, works great on Bakelite.