Suggestions wanted for repair of a .25" hole in a metal horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victor VI

Re: Suggestions wanted for repair of a .25" hole in a metal

Post by 52089 »

I would be tempted to make a small patch out of black electrical tape and call it a day, particularly if the hole is not in a visible spot.

Another alternative would be aluminum tape, which is thinner and metallic, but you would have to find a way to blacken it.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

52089 wrote:I would be tempted to make a small patch out of black electrical tape and call it a day, particularly if the hole is not in a visible spot.

Another alternative would be aluminum tape, which is thinner and metallic, but you would have to find a way to blacken it.
After reading Jerry Van's post I was thinking along the same line. Maybe you could use a hole punch to make two small circles to cover the hole on both sides. This may blend in enough to be unobtrusive yet be reversible if desired.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Reading the further description of the hole, it sounds as if I might come to the same conclusions that you have. Please know that I didn't mean to preach to you about how you should enjoy your machine :) Hope it didn't come across like that.
I took absolutely no offense to your post. We just have a different perspective or opinion. It is impossible for either of us to be right or wrong. All is good. :)

I once knew someone who purchased a Victrola from the original owner. Inside was a bit of his DNA which was a few strands of hair. The new owner was not cleaning for fear of losing that connection and making the machine somehow less than original. That was thirty years ago. Imagine how dusty that thing is now.

Jerry Blais

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Jerry B. wrote:
Reading the further description of the hole, it sounds as if I might come to the same conclusions that you have. Please know that I didn't mean to preach to you about how you should enjoy your machine :) Hope it didn't come across like that.
I took absolutely no offense to your post. We just have a different perspective or opinion. It is impossible for either of us to be right or wrong. All is good. :)

I once knew someone who purchased a Victrola from the original owner. Inside was a bit of his DNA which was a few strands of hair. The new owner was not cleaning for fear of losing that connection and making the machine somehow less than original. That was thirty years ago. Imagine how dusty that thing is now.

Jerry Blais
i received an Edison DD C200 and it has a inch of dust in the horn. I will start the clean up and refinishing on it after I finish my Amberola VIII. I have not the time to work on things because of X mas and jury duty... I hope it is a murder trial I will get but they only have two days to stick me.Tom B

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

My main objective when looking at whether to repair or not are (1) intentional (or unintentional) unsightly damage, like a hole and (2) rust (not light surface rust), and wood damage which both indicate abuse of some kind in the past. I have no problem with repairs to correct those things as long as the repairs are done well. I would rather have something that looks aesthetically good than an "original" rusted, pitted item with holes. Obviously, the damage is not original condition, so correcting it becomes a moot point...

As far as leaving hair, dust and DNA in a machine to protect its provenance, that is another question, which should be dealt with by the medical professionals in the psychiatric community... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Jerry,

Why not post a picture so that everyone can get the full scope of the damage?

Good luck with the project..

Joe

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Why not post a picture so that everyone can get the full scope of the damage?
Good suggestion Joe. I've started down the repair process using Harvey's method. I have some as found photos as well as a few taken during the repair. I'm in the paint touch up stage so it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Here are photos of my Victor Junior horn. They start with "as found" photos followed by ones taken during the repair process. Finally there are photos of the horn on a machine. It's not perfect but your eye, mine at least, is not drawn immediately to the repaired hole.

I had my own thoughts of using JB Weld but decided to use Harvey's suggestion. This is what I did:
1 - I pressed some ordinary paper taken from a note pad into the hole from the front of the bell.
2 - With my finger pressing the paper from the outside of the bell I applied Loctite Super Glue to the paper on the back side of the bell.
3- After a few minutes of drying time I removed my finger and applied the glue to the outside of the bell filling the void my finger made.
4 - The next morning I applied more glue to both sides.
5 - With 600 ultra fine wet/dry sandpaper I smoothed both sides. This removed the excess paper on the front of the bell.
6 - I painted both front and back repaired areas with a tab of Testors flat black.
7 - The next day I polished with Howard's Restore-A-Shine.

It's not perfect but I think it's better than an open hole. The above process is better than a flimsy bandaid repair. I would be interested in any opinions preferring "as found" or "as left" condition or even "you're not done yet!". :)

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
Last edited by Jerry B. on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

That came out really nice!!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

clarphon
Victor I

Post by clarphon »

Good repair Jer. It looks really nice. I used to own this machine though and sort of miss the hole!! SIGH

Stan S.