The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Orthophonic Reproducer rebuilder in Canada?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:37 am 
Victor Jr
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for someone trustworthy in Canada I can send my Orthophonic Reproducer to to be rebuilt well. Most anyone, or company, I find online is in the USA and I'd rather not send it over the border if it can be avoided. Also, I've learned in the past that a well designed website doesn't necessarily mean the person behind it is any good at their job so I'm hoping I can get a recommendation from personal experience.

I assume it's the reproducer needing rebuilt. I'm a novice so here are the issues if anyone has other ideas.

Currently it works okay with soft tone needles most of the time but has issues. Sometimes when I put in the needle there's barely any sound but if i wiggle it a bit and try again it'll work. Medium and loud tone needles are out of the question because I get such loud screeching around the music it's unbearable to listen to. The reproducer looks okay with no damage but I took a picture with the flash on and that revealed a surprising amount of rust in crevices that wasn't visible to the naked eye.

As a second question... I can't figure out to get the reproducer off the arm even. Is it weird to send the whole tonearm to be rebuilt? I don't want the pot metal to explode in my hands if I force it.

IMG_20171225_005742.jpg [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 144 times ]