How do I remove this "Mystery Glue"?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
steambc
Victor Jr

Re: How do I remove this "Mystery Glue"?

Post by steambc »

Yes, I've used Citri-Strip before and had excellent results with it. I used it to remove layers of paint from an electo-mechanical arcade machine I'm restoring (Peppy the Musical Clown) and I was pleasantly surprised to see that each administration of the Citri-Strip removed only one layer of paint at a time. The amusement park where it came from had painted over the entire cabinet with gold-toned paint and had therefore hidden the complex two-tone original paint job. By using this stuff, I was able to uncover and discern the painted curves of the original paint, enough to reconstruct the correct color layout.

I'm a definite believer in Citri-Strip. It would have been interesting to see what effect it would have had on the glue. I never even thought to try it. But as I said, the job went very well indeed with sandpaper and my Victrola is happily playing its tunes and my great girlfriend who gave me the Victrola now sees a nice clean felt and not the groove she accidentally made in the felt.

I also removed the motor and lubricated it the best I could for now. The gears were dry but not unduly worn at all. This Spring I intend to completely dismantle the motor, remove the two springs (yes, I am aware of the tremendous kinetic energy and will carefully do it inside of a pillow case), and then reassemble with appropriate lubricant. It looks like it has never been rebuilt as I see there are build-ups of what appears to be gummy petroleum jelly impregnated with graphite caked up in various places.

I'll search lubricants out here and if I have questions will make another thread about that.

Thanks again to all for your generous advice!

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Put three paper towels on it, soak with lacquer thinner....let sit overnight. BINGO
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

steambc
Victor Jr

Post by steambc »

MicaMonster wrote:Put three paper towels on it, soak with lacquer thinner....let sit overnight. BINGO
Another good idea. Thank you. Although the job is done, I am squirreling away all your guys great suggestions for the next time I'm faced with "mystery glue". Just from a scientific standpoint I'd love to know what that glue actually was.

I like your idea of soaking with towels.