Electric Credenza Motor Service

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victrola1906
Victor Jr

Electric Credenza Motor Service

Post by Victrola1906 »

Hi - I just bought an electric Credenza. I'm sure that the motor is dirty and probably needs maintenance of some kind. Any suggestions on what should be done or does anyone know of someone who can do maintenance? Thanks!

Buck Winslow
raleighantiques@yahoo.com

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Re: Electric Credenza Motor Service

Post by antique1973 »

Hi, if the motor is original, its probably heavy duty and made out of cast iron like mine.
Someone installed an electric motor in my XVI in the 30's and it would not turn on at all.
It was totally frozen up, so I used liquid wrench on the spindle axle and a wrench to free it.
Once I got it free I used my power drill (clockwise) and attached it to the spindle and ran it
for a few minutes to loosen it up. I also sprayed some WD 40 on the contacts on the rotor part
to help clean them. This did the trick and now it runs at a perfect 78 rpms. By the way be sure
its unplugged while you do this steps just to be safe before you try it out. Good luck!

Victrola1906
Victor Jr

Re: Electric Credenza Motor Service

Post by Victrola1906 »

Great! Thanks for the info. I've lubricated my motor in all the places where I saw moving parts. I'm much more familiar with the spring-driven motors than the electric ones. The only concern I have is that the motor's hum seems a bit loud. It's not so loud that it masks the sound (hard to beat the Credenza!) but it's louder than a newer motor would be.