Question for Wyatt A.K.A. MicaMonster

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Question for Wyatt A.K.A. MicaMonster

Post by JerryVan »

Wyatt,

As I mention in another thread, I'm rebuilding a basket case brass Orthophonic reproducer. I'll be installing a new diaphragm. I read your "paper" on mounting the old spider. That all looks fine. My question concerns soldering the needle bar to the spider. Do you find that it's tricky to get the soldering done before the epoxy, (JB Weld?), begins to melt? Such a tiny aluminum part makes me worry that it will heat up extremely fast and ruin the epoxy. I believe there is a high heat JB Weld, perhaps use that?

Looking forward to your observations.

Thanks,

Jerry Van

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Question for Wyatt A.K.A. MicaMonster

Post by JerryVan »

Obviously, the experiences of others who have performed this same step are welcome as well :)

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I don't think it should be a problem. I have used 60/40 rosin core solder on original diaphragms where the spider legs are shellac sealed and had no problems with the shellac melting. The most difficult part of the job, for me, has been getting the soldering tip into that small space.

Jim

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jim,

Thank you! You make an excellent point about the shellac remaining intact. You're correct, it's a tight spot to do any soldering. Add to that, the fact that many times, the needle bar just does not want to be soldered!

I really appreciate your response Jim. Say hello to Linda for me.