Using Goop to clean wood

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Using Goop to clean wood

Post by Edisonfan »

I want to start off by apologizing, too everyone who recommended using GOOP Hand Cleaner to clean my wood cabinets on my phonographs. You guys were right, this stuff is amazing. I was able too get more then 100 years of dirt off in minutes. with this stuff and a soft bristle toothbrush. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't tried it.

Thanks again!

Paul Kondig

colmike1
Victor III

Re: Using Goop to clean wood

Post by colmike1 »

I recently cleaned up and Edison C- 150 with goop. The difference was night and day. I've always used it for spot cleaning but it never cleaned an entire case with it. The results were amazing

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

EDIT: The sander is Rust-Oleum Walmart # 554761516

I use goop with 1000 grit and work up to 1500 grit wet paper to work old finishes back to super smooth. Even helps with mild alligatored finishes.

It is very painstaking and takes a lot of time. The goop helps to soften the crusty finish and the paper polishes up.

Walmart sells a very nice tool with an assortment of 400 1000 1500 fine grit wet small sized paper. The tool is compressed foam and contours over the working surface. Very comfortable grip.The pad is approx 1" X 4". Sorry I do not have an item # as I removed them from the packaging to save storage space. Should have kept one I know.
Attachments
sander.jpeg
block.jpg
block.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2350 times

steambc
Victor Jr

Post by steambc »

Do you guys allow the Goop to soak in or do you instead apply it and immediately wipe of off?

Also, I'm wondering if the Goop ever gets left in inaccessible cracks or seams, and if that is damaging over time.

I'm not usually big on cleaning old finishes, but I'm tempted since my VV-IX is from my fiance and I am not concerned so much with resale value. It's more of a sentimental/aesthetic thing, so I would consider cleaning it. All opinions on the subject are welcome and appreciated.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Depending on how dirty the finish is I leave it on for a couple to about 5 minutes, then wipe it off. If it's very dirty I apply it with 0000 steel wool, if relatively clean I only brush it on. Afterwards I try to remove the remaining GooP from corners and crevices with Q-Tips, because I don't want it to soften the finish there and catch more dirt.

Andreas