All natural cleansing products

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

All natural cleansing products

Post by Edisonfan »

So, I tried out some more natural cleaning products to clean some of my brass hardware. Mild soap and warm water, toothbrush, salt and white vinegar, and 0000 steel wool. I know, products like: baking soda and lemon juice made as a paste can work well, so can ketchup. Go figure on that one? I'm sure a lot of people on here have tried some of these tricks too clean hardware on their phonographs? I have also heard of people using Goop to clean the wood. Although, I still use Old English Lemon oil on my wood cabinets. Unless someone else has other suggestions.

A lot of the man made products like Tarn- X and Braaso and Wright's Sliver cream tend too produce harsh odors and need too be done outside, or in a well ventilated, area. Tarn-X produces Sulfur gas when used.

Anyway, these worked for me.

Paul

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: All natural cleansing products

Post by Curt A »

I have never tried this, but it was a suggestion from a fireman that I knew. He said they cleaned brass at the fire station with Kool Aid (no sugar) mixed with water and dipped the pieces for a period of time...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Well, try it out, and let me know?

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

I've had some luck with table salt and vinegar. As long as there is no oil, grease, or wax. it will brighten it up, neutralize with baking soda, and then do a final buffing to polish.