paillard maestrophonic no. 18 disassembly

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
burke
Victor I

paillard maestrophonic no. 18 disassembly

Post by burke »

Hi all,

I acquired a red Paillard suitcase portable identical to the one in the post below [much poorer condition].
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... le&start=0

I was looking at the soundbox and wondering what [if anything] could or should be done to it.

I did some searching here and elsewhere about refurbishing these [gasket replacement etc] and found zero/ziltch/nada.

So I removed the screws in the plate to see what was what. Did not want to come apart but a few gentle taps with a small hammer around the rim fixed that. It was a bit stuck to the foil but running a micro screwdriver blade gently around the rim fixed that.

So for the record: what I found was not a gasket but a thin black gasket like material attached on both sides. It was still flexible so I left well enough alone and just put a thin layer of Vaseline on the black material.

There was also a bit green yuk around the screw attaching the needlebar. The screw was a yellowish colour so I guessing copper and verdigris. I removed that and put it back together.

I have not tried the soundbox so I have no idea what its sounds like ... I will say I like the way it looks and its simple seemingly bulletproof design Pics below.
20180215_133951.jpg
20180215_132644.jpg
20180215_132631.jpg
20180215_125010.jpg