Removing Turntable Platter on Victor V-I

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
kent83
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Newbie

Removing Turntable Platter on Victor V-I

Post by kent83 »

Hi all,

I am trying to revive a Victor V-1 Victrola, and I am literally stuck at removing the turntable platter. I have read in a couple of places online to support the platter with wood wedged between the board and the platter, then cover the head of the spindle with a piece of wood and tap with a hammer. I have done this and have tried various lubricants, but it doesn't show any signs of movement. Any tips? The things I've read online related to this have never referenced the V-1 specifically, and I also want to make sure these platters should just lift off the spindle and aren't threaded or otherwise attached in a way I don't know about. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

TK

Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Removing Turntable Platter on Victor V-I

Post by Phonolair »

Yes the turn table should lift straight up and off. It sounds like you're doing the right stuff so far.
But in this case you may need to remove the turn table with the spindle intact from the motor.
This way you can have a more solid way to hold things when you hit the spindle with a brass hammer or wood block and hammer. You may need to use some heat also if it still does not want to come out.
Caution, make sure the motor is completely unwound before removing the spindle from the motor.

Larry Crandell

kent83
Victor Jr

Post by kent83 »

Thanks so much, Larry. Just knowing I am on the right track is really helpful. I've taken all the motor parts out but have not been able to get the spindle out. There is a gear at the base of the spindle, and I think there is a set screw under the gear that needs to be loosened so I can slide the gear off. Looks challenging, but I think I can figure that out.

Thanks!

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Yes you are correct, that gear and set screw needs to slide off the spindle as you pull it out.
Also be aware if I remember correctly on a Victor 1. The small hole (seat) that the spindle sets in, in the motor casting has a small ball bearing in it. Be careful not to loose it, sometimes the bearing will fall out after the spindle is removed.

Larry Crandell

kent83
Victor Jr

Post by kent83 »

Thanks so much for the advice, Larry. Success! Pulling the spindle out from the motor was the way to go. It took about 24 hours of soaking it repeatedly with penetrating oil, but it finally started to move, and now it's out. Now I can get to cleaning and re-greasing the parts.

Thanks again.