Mind your fingers!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Mind your fingers!

Post by epigramophone »

Winding a machine with a defective ratchet catch can have painful consequences :
Attachments
Pa.jpg

colmike1
Victor III

Re: Mind your fingers!

Post by colmike1 »

Recently my regulator clock kicked back and gave me the clock equivalent of a Ford fracture on my thumb. Still have the bruise and a slight scuff from it. I can't imagine how much fun of phonograph crank would be.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

colmike1 wrote:Recently my regulator clock kicked back and gave me the clock equivalent of a Ford fracture on my thumb. Still have the bruise and a slight scuff from it. I can't imagine how much fun of phonograph crank would be.
It HURTS. Ever since I experienced it I always make sure the ratchet pawl has caught properly before letting go of the crank. Pain is a powerful teacher.

Andreas

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

That happened to me when I first started collecting. Fortunately, I pulled my hand away and didn't get hurt. But the motor sure did!!! Had to get new springs in the motor, and other repairs. In the cartoon, it looks like the little scamp kicked Pa, and Pa jumped away :o . I hope Pa gave this kid a dose of his own medicine!!! :lol:
Harvey Kravitz

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

alang wrote:
colmike1 wrote:Recently my regulator clock kicked back and gave me the clock equivalent of a Ford fracture on my thumb. Still have the bruise and a slight scuff from it. I can't imagine how much fun of phonograph crank would be.
It HURTS. Ever since I experienced it I always make sure the ratchet pawl has caught properly before letting go of the crank. Pain is a powerful teacher.

Andreas
Had an Edison crank unload on me once and it still hurts thinking about it. I'm with you alang ....... Bill K

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Collectors should be careful and definitely keep their reproducers far away from these... :? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

My mantle clock key whacked my thumb when the clicker failed. About the same as hitting your thumb with a hammer... several times in a row rapidly!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Number One offender: 1904 Edison Standard A. Who would have suspected such big issues from such a small crank?
Number two offender: 1914 Victrola. Sounds like an old car running, kicks like starting one. Now much safer with a shot of oil on the click.

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

The pawl on my "new style" Edison Model A will not catch when cranked, even though I have cleaned and lubed it. What can I do to fix it? Thanks, Roy

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I had that experience with an Amberola 30. I was amazed at the number of times I was smacked before I got my hand in the clear!

Jerry B.